Chapter 2 homework
1) Which of the following molecules has a dipole moment (which is polar)? Indicate the expected
direction of each molecule.
2) Using the electronegativity table on page 35 (Figure 2.2) in the Mcmurry
Chapter 7 Homework
1) Write a mechanism to explain the following reaction.
2) Name the following compounds using IUPAC rules
3) Predict the major product in each of the following reactions
4) Rank the priority of the substituents
CHEM 2101 Homework 8
1) Predict the major elimination product of alcohol dehydration for the reactions below.
2) Solvolysis is the act of using the reaction solvent as the nucleophile. This concept is utilized in
the halohydrin re
Chapter 9 Homework
1) Provide a synthetic pathway for the product shown below starting from acetylene (HCCH), any
R-X and any reagents. The alcohols were added in an anti-fashion.
2) Provide a synthetic pathway for the synthesis
Chapter 11 Homework
1) Which compound in the following reacts fastest with CH3O- in a SN2 reaction?
a. CH3Br or (CH3)2CHBr
2) Rank the compounds based on nucleophilicity.
3) Order each of
Overview of Organic Reactions
Four Basic Organic Reactions
While there may be numerous reactions in organic
chemistry to perform a number of transformations
under a variety of conditions, there are four basic types
1) Additions: T
Stereochemistry at Tetrahedral Centers
So far we have discussed several different
Constitutional Isomers: Same formula but
Conformational Isomers: Same compound,
different aspect due to
Understanding bonding allows us to predict reaction chemistry and
The magnitude of the difference in EN values between two elements
determines their type of bonding (Covalent, Polar covalent , Ionic)
difference = 0
Organic Compounds : Alkanes and their
Introduction to the functional groups and
the fundamental properties of alkanes
including nomenclature (naming organic
compounds), physical properties, threedimensional and confor
Cycloalkanes and their Stereochemistry
Cycloalkanes: Their many uses
Cycloalkanes are ubiquitous in both nature and in
Cycloalkanes are name in the same manner as linear alkanes.
The longest chain of carbo
Chapter 3 homework
1) Identify all functional groups in the following compound.
2) Match the R group with its name
d) Sec butyl
3) Draw all Isomers of C5H12
4) Which com
CHEM 2101 Chapter 6 Homework
1) We learned in lecture that radical reactions are fairly useless in organic chemistry due to the
formation of multiple products. However, sometimes only one product is possible in cases of
CHEM 2101 Homework Chapter 4.
1) Determine whether the following pairs of compounds are identical, constitutional isomers, stereo
isomers or unrelated. Please draw each named compound.
a. Cis-1,3-dibromocyclopentane and cis-1,4-di
Chapter 1 Homework
1) What are the likely formulas for the following molecules?
2) Fill in any nonbonding valence electrons that are missing from the following structures.
3) Convert th
Chapter 5 Homework
1) There are four dimethylcyclopropane isomers: (a) Write three-dimensional structures for these
isomers using wedges and dashes. (b) Which of these isomers are chiral (c) If you separated
these compounds by di
Why is studying organic chemistry
1) Many of the worlds advancements can be
traced to organic chemistry
Plastics, Fuels, Medicines, Foods, Pesticides and
2) To have a fundamental understanding of
organic chemistry allows one to