Designing the Windows 8 touch keyboard
Starting with the earliest TabletPC enhancements to Windows, we have been
working on on-screen keyboards. With Windows 8, we started fresh and took
a first principles approach to developing the touch keyboard. Given
1. The top row of buttons labels don't appear to be buttons like the bottom row. But the main reason is that each button and label is divided giving better readability. The labels are also smaller than the buttons as well.
2. A mode is when a user selects
Identify design choices that are good/bad
o Need to figure out how to improve
o Look at all the features
o Whats enjoyable and easy to use
Do you need a manual to use?
o Elevator control panel:
Bottom row labels look like buttons
Emotions and the user experience
o Emotional is important for interaction as well as efficiency
Emotions gone through when using
Happy, sad, frustrated
o Emotional design model
The Glossary of Human Computer Interaction
26. Interaction Styles
by Mads Soegaard
The concept of Interaction Styles refers to all the ways the user can communicate
or otherwise interact with the computer system. The concept belongs in the realm
of HCI or
Fittss Law and Interface Types (pt.1)
o Require type commands
Hard wired at keyboard
Assign to keys
o Efficient, precise, fast
o Little resources
o Overhead learning set of commands
o Error rate high
1. When designing the Windows 8 touch keyboard, Microsoft researchers found that the more keys a
keyboard has, the more likely people are to make mistakes. Why does that happen?
This is partly because more keys mean the keys need to be smaller
STUDY GUIDE PART 2
1. Can the same person assume more than one role in a usecase diagram?
2. Write a hierarchical task analysis for buying a book at amazon.com.
In order to buy a Book at amazon.com
Go to website