The Entrepreneurial Process
Not just Start-ups
Value Creation: Driving Forces
Fit and Balance
Creating, Shaping, Recognizing, Seizing
Capital Markets Food Chain
Circle of VC Ecstasy
Idea or Opportunity?
Where are Opportunities Born?
Window of Opportunity
The Entrepreneurial Leader and the Team
The Entrepreneurial Leader
Stages of Venture Growth
Managing for Rapid Growth and Entrepreneurial
What Entrepreneurial Leaders Need to Know and
g Venture Opportunities
The Business Plan
6/8 - 1
Screening Venture Opportunities
Anchors of Superior Businesses
Why do A Business Plan?
Entre between prendre to take -> take on a risk
Inventors: creates something new
Entrepreneur: assemble & integrate resources to transform invention into a business
Entrepreneurial Intensity: Conservative Entrepreneurially
Why become an Entrepreneur:
Step 1) Market Segmentation: group of customers in companys market
Geography city, state, country
Demographic age, gender, income, family size
Psychographic personality, lifestyle, values
Behavior benefits sought, brand loyalty
3 Reasons ventures need to raise $ early in life:
Cash Flow Challenges:
Burn Rate: rate at which venture is spending its capital until it reaches profitability
(fail if burn through all of capital before it becomes profitable.
New Venture Team: group of founders, key employees, & advisors that move a new venture from an idea
to a fully functioning firm. Board of Directors - Board of Advisors - Other professionals
Liability of Newness: inability to adjust quick enough to new
Intellectual Property: any product of human intellect that is intangible but valuable in the marketplace
Not using their IP as part of their overall plan for success
Not properly identifying all their IP
Not fully recognizing the
Code of Conduct(code of ethics): formal statement of an organizations values on certain ethical and social issues.
Ethics Training Programs: teach business ethics to help employees deal with ethical dilemmas and improve their overall
ENT 4424: Venture Capital
Canvas messaging is the best way to communicate with me. Messages (and
emails) will be answered within 1-2 business days (or less in most cases).
ENT 4424 Chapters 6 & 8 Quiz
1. Successful entrepreneurs say "no" to lots of opportunities.
2. Completing the Venture Opportunity Screening Exercise will remove all of the
uncertainties and risks associated with a venture conce
ENT 4424 Chapter 3 & 5 Quiz
1. Entrepreneurship does not occur in not-for-profit companies
2. One of the biggest mistakes aspiring entrepreneurs make is that they think too small.
3. The entrepreneurial process st
ENT 4424 Chapters 9 & 11 Quiz
1. The originator of the business idea should not receive equity in the new venture.
2. It is in the high-growth stage that new ventures tend to exhibit a failure rate exceeding
ENT 4424 Chapters 13 & 14 Quiz
1. Strategies that maximize the amount of money raised can be counter-productive for new
and emerging companies.
2. Short-term debt is most often used by a business for working capital and is repa
ENT 4424 Chapters 18 & 19 Quiz
1. Families comprise the dominant form of business organization worldwide, and provide
more resources for the entrepreneurial economy than any other source.
2. Most often, family cash investments
ENT 4424 Chapters 15 & 16 Quiz
1. The goal of valuation techniques for a start-up company is to be able to arrive at a single
2. Investors stage their capital commitments as a way to incentivize the entrepreneurial
TCTC Worksheet Responses
Relax Listen Understand: Program 3
1. The crazy idea I heard today was
That a clarifier for solids could fit into the same container as the biofilter.
2. My immediate reaction to the idea was
Was that the two needed to be separate
TCTC Worksheet Responses
Introduction: Program 1
What do I want to get out of this series of programmes?
I want to expand my openness to new ideas, and try to remove some of my initial judgments
that may cause me to overlook good solutions to problems.
Summary of Qualifications
Using failure to learn and grow
Often people do not associate youth sports with the professional world, but as a referee
the job is to keep the game safe and as fair as possible. I was refereei
Course Syllabus ENT 4014 Venture Formation
Instructor Stephen Budd (813) 974-6247 email@example.com Office Location: BSN 3521 Office Hours: By appointment
Course Prerequisites Course is open to junior- or senior-level business or industrial engin