927) Determine the vertical displacement of joint A. Assume the members are pin connected at their end points. Take
A = 2 in2 and E = 29(10)"3 ksi for each member. Use the method of Castiglianos theorem.
1k 0.5k 0,25k
U = i2 32L = i (2.236
920) Determine the vertical displacement of point E. Each member has a cross-sectional area of 4.5 in.2E = 29(10): ksi.
Use the method of virtual work.
I l- an an 4
2.5 kip 5 kip 2.5 kip
0.5 kip 0.5 kip
iakva) = 5 if;
1k V = f-O.83k
926) Determine the vertical displacement of joint A. Assume the members are pin connected at their end points. Take
A = 2 in2 and E = 29(10)"3 ksi for each member. Use the method of virtual work.
1k 0.5k 0.25k
i<1k)(vk) = 52 SASEL
94-0) Determine the horizontal displacement of joint B of the truss. Each member has a crosssectional area of 3
in"2. E = 29(10)"3 ksi. Use the method of virtual work.
1mm = 52 Sf;
1k = 1.33k 18k 4am. -1.67k -25k 60in.
&( )(HB) ;[ (3i
921) Determine the vertical displacement of point E. Each member has a cross-sectional area of 4.5 in. 2. E =
29(10)"3 ksi. Use the method of Castiglianos theorem.
V |- an an 4
2.5 kip 5 kip 2.5 kip
> < > <
10k+2Q 10k+20 10k+20 1
Homework Set 1 (Due Sept. 16): Supplemental Problem 1, Supplemental Problem 2, 9-20, 921, 926, 9-27, 940,
941, 945, and 946
Supplemental Problem 1) Determine the vertical displacement of point B. All horizontal members have a cross-sectional
area of 2.15
EML 4930: Applied FEA
(1) A steel arch is clamped at each end as shown in the following figure.
a. Use a line body model and assign beam cross section. The line body is fixed on both
b. Specify a displacement of 0.6 inch in 0.05 inch increments at t
Problems on Static structural loading of ductile, brittle materials and fatigue analysis:
1) Structural steel shaft below is fixed at the left end and free on the right. Find the free end
deflection and the von Mises stresses at the 7.5 mm radius step if
First Saved Thursday, May 04, 2017
Last Saved Thursday, May 04, 2017
Save Project Before Solution
Save Project After Solution
o Coordinate Systems
The bracket under a pressure of 1MPa using Structural steel will fail after 4080.9 cycles and
having a safety factor of 0.71402. To improve the bracket, I recommend two option. The first is
change the material to a stronger one, on my analysis
Homework Problems Combined Loading
(1) A W14x90 (50 ksi steel) tensile member with Lb = 14ft is subjected to axial service loads PDL
= 150 kips and PLL = 180 kips and service moments MDLx = 130 kft and MLLX = 80 kft. If Cb =
1.0, is the member safe for th
Example 4. 1 7
Note that the results of this example compare favorably with the values given in the
column load tables.
The design strength is 61 kips
A bearing-type connection as shown below is to be connected with 7/8 A325 bolts with threads
excluded from the shear plane. Fy = 50 ksi and Fu = 70 ksi. Find the minimum number of bolts
necessary to support the applied factored loading.