CAAS 201 6.6.2011
- The assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand, Sarajevo, along w/other events, starts
- Af.Am serve in that war in a segregated army.
- 1885-1915, Af.AM are under assault in many ways, 3000 lynchings over 30 years
CAAS 201 5.31.2011
Memorial Day use to be called Declaration Day
- Some families will go out and honor those who have passed in their families by
laying flowers or a reef on their headstone.
- Arlington National Cemetery: Obama visited this past weekend.
CAAS 201 5.25.2011
Go further into the Emancipation Proclamation.
Focus of Memorial Day: To honor individuals who have served or died in service to the
- The issue of African Americans in service (Army, etc.) for the country.
- Great senator of K
CAAS 201 5.23.2011
Obama Speech (watch)
- He placed the issue of Arab Spring in a larger context.
- Issue (one hes speaking of) since 1948, dominated global dynamics.
Brown v. Board
- Constitutional backdrop (1787)
- How is Brown case seeking to address t
CAAS 201 5.9.2011
Modern Civil Rights Movement (1953/54 1968). Some say it starts with Brown vs.
Board of Edu.
Or in 1948 (President Truman desegregates the Armed Forces, signs an Executive
Or in 1941 (Franklin Roosevelt only president to be elect
CAAS 201 5.3.2011 (Tue)
Brown vs. Board of Edu. May 17, 1954 Pivotal case in US History.
- Topeka Kansas, deals with 14th Amendment.
- There were other cases in South Carolina, Virginia, Delaware, and Washington
D.C.; Each case was working itself up to th
Documentary: Eyes on the Prize.
- Two societies
- MLKs last speech was in Memphis, Tennessee.
- When he was shot at the motel he died an hour later.
- Mahalia Jackson song Precious Lord.
Microcosm: A model of a larger situation/
Brown v. Board of Edu. May 17, 1954. Its Role and Significance in African American
Dred Scott v. John Sanford (Starts in 1830s, decided in 1857)
Dred Scott was kept in Illinois, it was said he should be considered free.
- Does the