- Additional expansion occurred in 1634 when Charles I gave G. Calvert land on the
Chesapeake as personal property.
Calvert named the area Maryland and decided to use the colony as a haven for Roman
In fact, C. Calvert [son] was the first colon
After that, they maintained an uneasy peace and nothing more.
- Additionally, frequent cultural misunderstandings contributed to the failure of the
friendship. For instance
In the Indian culture, leaders were not autocratic.
B/c the English were accustome
- As the Pilgrims struggled to survive and create their small town community, though,
another group arrived and established colonies that would eventually come to dominate
New England and absorb Plymouth in 1691.
This second group was heade
Nevertheless, the leaders of the initial colonists left an indelible imprint on the region
their idealism persisted for decades at the very least.
- The colonization of New England began when in 1609 a Separatist congregation
moved to the
The Anglican Church was subsequently taken over by Queen Elizabeth, who swung it
more towards the Protestant side.
This led to the formation of many English Calvinist [Puritan] groups, who felt that reform
should go further.
But under the Stuarts [the abs
*The Expansion of the New England Colonies*
- Three types of towns developed in New England: agricultural towns that attempted to
sustain Winthrops communalist ideas, seaports/trading centers, and commercialized
- Furthermore, the colon
*Jamestowns Struggle for Survival*
- The most concise way to express the first years would be absolutely terrible luck.
The colonists faced a myriad of problems, most of which they were not responsible for.
They just happened to arrive during
So the planters would get free labor (for a while) and land, and, after they worked their
quota of years:
the servants would get their freedom and their own plots.
- Indentured servants, who were generally lower-class people who came over in hopes
*The Expansion of the Chesapeake Colonies*
Although the governor could veto their laws, they controlled his salary.
- But what actually saved the colonists in the long term?
One word: tobacco.
In 1611, the first crop was planted and the Virginians finally
Europeans Colonize North America (1600 1640)
*English Interest in Colonization*
- By the sixteenth century, many countries, including Spain, France and the
Netherlands, had established colonies in the New World.
Until the foundation of Jamestown, however,
Henri Pirenne (+1935)
St. Patrick=Patricus (+460)
Vi Neill family
Adomhan of Iona (+704)
Law of Innocents (697)
St. Columba (+597)