1. What is the rationale for using antibiotics in healthy farm animals?
2. What is the evidence that antibiotic-resistant bacteria are spread from food animals to
humans? Why is it difficult to gather such evidence?
3. What efforts have been made to reduc
1. Who was the index patient?
2. How is the virus spread?
3. How did public health authorities respond to the epidemic?
4. What was the R0 for the virus?
5. Where did the virus come from?
6. How do you allocate resources during a large-scale epidemic?
1. What factors do you think contributed to the rapid spread of cholera in Haiti?
2. Describe measures that should be taken to treat cholera patients and to stop the spread of
3. Do you think the UN should be held responsible for introducing
1. Where did the 1918 influenza pandemic start?
2. What factors contributed to the spread of the pandemic?
3. What measures were taken to stop the pandemic?
4. How did the pandemic finally end?
5. What were the outcomes of the pandemic?
HIV/AIDS AS A WORLDWIDE PANDEMIC
HIV/AIDS is a global pandemic that is one of the most destructive
diseases and one of the largest threats to health. In 1981, the first incidences of
AIDS were reported. Since that time, in 2006 it was found that there is
In surrogate motherhood, one woman acts as a surrogate, or replacement, mother
for another woman, sometimes called the intended mother, who either cannot produce
fertile eggs or cannot carry a pregnancy through to birth, or term. Surr
September 9, 2010
My brother and I are both products of Caesarean births. Not only did my 8 pound
13 ounce brother prove to be difficult to pass through the birth canal of our very petite
mother, but the placenta was on the verge of rupturing and an emerg
Abortion is not an issue of religious vs. non-religious
people because the politics of abortion depends on which
religious and different interpretations. Jewish people say that
killing a fetus was a minor offense aga
1. What are the implications of a single case of a vaccine-preventable disease such as measles?
2. What are the reasons parents reject vaccination for their children?
3. How did the theory that the MMR vaccine causes autism originate? How has this theory