1. Western Europe, North America, Eastern Europe, and East Asia
2. Industry is concentrated in three of the nine world regions.
3. Tied to European markets from British colonization
Had essential raw materials like iron and coal
Good transportation system
1. United States- Right to Work Laws- Requires factories to maintain a so called
open shop, in which a union and a company may not negotiate a contract that
requires workers to join a union as a condition
Absolute Location- The exact location or latitude and longitude of a place on Earth.
Arithmetic Density- Total number of objects in an area.
Cartography- The art, science, and study of map-making.
Contagious Diffusion- The rapid, widespread diffusion of a
1. A countrys investments should be spread as equally as possible across all
sectors of its economy and in all regions. The growth may take time, but will
occur over a broader spectrum. (Main c
9.2 Where are More and Less Developed Countries Distributed
Surya Balaji 4/9/13 Period 23 APHG
1. North America, Europe, Russia, Japan, Oceania
2. Highest percentage of tertiary sector employment
3. Once leader in manufacturing, steel, automobiles. Curren
Surya Balaji 11/27/2012 P23 APHG
1. Popular culture varies more in time than in place as the hearth is usually a
specific location but the trend diffuses rapidly.
2. Minimal traditional- Usually 1 story, few decorative details
Ranch House- Always 1 story,
1. North Korea- South Korea- Korean war and political turmoil in North Korea along
with the question of sovereignty.
Taiwan- China- Issues between nationalists and communists along with the
1. Agriculture- The deliberate modification of Earths surface through cultivation of
plants and rearing of animals to obtain sustenance or economic gain.
2. Before agriculture people fed themselves throu
1. Material artifacts
2. Culture- The beliefs and ethnic diversity of a region
Custom- Repetitive acts of a group, and are characteristics of that group.
3. Visible objects that a group possesse
2. Language is a source of pride and honor to regional uniqueness. When
languages dont have connections they become isolated
3. Language- A means of spoken communication
Literary Tradition- System of
1. Development- The process in which there is improvement of material conditions
of people through diffusion of knowledge and technology.
MDC- More Developed Country; further progress along the developmen
1. State- An area organized into a political unit and ruled by an established
government that has control over its internal and foreign affairs. The 3
characteristics are sovereignty, defined territor
Nation State- A state whose territory corresponds to that occupied by a particular
ethnicity that has been transformed into a nationality. (Ex. Denmark)
Multinational State- A state conta
AP Human Geography Outline
Ch. 1 Thinking Geographically
Key Issue 1: How do geographers describe where things are?
Map- a two-dimensional model of Earths surface, or a portion of it.
Place- a specific point of Earth distinguished by a particular characte