1) List five tasks that a layer can perform. It is possible that one (or more) of these tasks could be performed by two (or more) layers? Five generic tasks are error control, flow control, segmentation and reassembly, multiplexing, and connection setup.
NPU CS/CE470 Midterm Exam, Summer 2008
Problem 1 A user wants to access an URL containing five objects, each 100 kilobytes in size. You are to calculate the nodal delays from the local router to the server router. Ignore both queueing delays and propagati
NAME: mengxiao ID: 7433 Lab 1
Name : Basic Networking Commands Practice and find information about network as well as how to debug network problems Equipment :Networked Computers with windows operating system installed All the commands below are inputted
1) Suppose an application generates chunks 40 bytes of data every 20 msec, and each chunk gets encapsulated in a TCP segment and then an IP datagram. What percentage of each datagram will be overhead and what percentage will be application data? 100% is o
1) What are the two main functions of a datagram-based network layer? What additional functions does a VC-based network layer have? 2) Compare and contrast link-state and distance-vector routing algorithms. 3) It is necessary that every autonomous system
1) What are the two main functions of a datagram-based network layer? What additional functions does a VC-based network layer have?
Datagram-based network layer: forwarding; routing. Additional function of VC-based network layer: call setup.
1. Suppose A sends two TCP segments back-to-back to B. The first segment has sequence number 90; the second has sequence number 110. a) How much data is the first segment? b) Suppose that the first segment is lost, but the second segment arrives at B. In
1) The UDP server described in Section 2.8 only needed one socket, whereas the TCP server described in Section 2.7 needed two sockets. Why? If the TCP server were to support n simultaneous connections, each from a different client host, how many sockets w
1. Consider an e-commerce site that wants to keep a purchase record for
each of its customers. Describe how this can be done with HTTP authentication. Describe how this can be done with cookies. (16 points)
In both cases, the site must keep a database rec
1. Install and compile the Java programs TCPClient on one host and TCPServer on another host. a) Suppose you run TCPClient before you run TCPServer. What happens? Why? Answer: If you run TCPClient first, then the client will attempt to make a TCP connecti
1) List five non-proprietary Internet applications and the application-layer protocols that they use. The Web: HTTP; file transfer: FTP; remote login: Telnet; Network News: NNTP; e-mail: SMTP. 2) For a communication session between two hosts, which host i
1) What are the two types of services that the Internet provides to its applications? What are some of characteristics of each of these services? 2) It has been said that flow control and congestion control are equivalent. Is this true for the I