1. Why are the male testes located in the scrotum outside the body?
- Immature sperm are temperature sensitive
2. Sperm are stored in the _.
3. Genetic variation of individual chromosomes occurs during _.
- Prophase I
4. Which of the followin
1. Which heart chamber sends deoxygenated blood to the lungs?
- Right Ventricle
2. The heart is actually (one, two, or three) pumps?
- Two pumps
3. Which chamber receives blood from the superior and inferior vena cavae?
- Right Atrium
4. Which heart chamb
1. What is the role of the mini-valves in lymph capillaries?
- Increase permeability
2. Which of the following lymphoid tissues/organs does NOT contain reticular connective tissue?
3. Within buboes, bacteria are directly attacked by _.
1. Which of the following represents all of the processes involved in respiration in the correct order?
- Pulmonary ventilation; external respiration; transport of respiratory gases; internal respiration;
2. _, the difference between the intrapulmonary an
1. Which of the following is a role of interferons (IFNs)?
- IFNs help the body combat viral infections
2. Which of the following is an effect of complement activation?
3. What mobilizes the adaptive defenses and provokes an immune response
1. The aorta is an example of a(n) _.
- Elastic artery
2. What type of tissue is found in the walls of the arteries but not in the walls of capillaries and venules?
- Elastic tissue
3. Which capillaries are the most common in the body?
- Continuous capill
1. Which nutrients function as coenzymes and are needed in only small amounts?
2. Select the correct sequence of steps as energy is extracted from glucose during cellular respiration.
- Glycolysis acetyl CoA citric acid cycle electron transport
1. Under normal circumstances, most water is lost in _.
2. What solute in body fluids determines most of their chemical and physical reactions?
3. The role of ADH is to _.
- Increase water absorption
4. The body's water volume is cl
1. The major means of propelling food through the digestive tract is _.
2. The innermost tissue layer of the alimentary canal is the _.
3. Which of the following is NOT a characteristic of the stomach?
- The stomach releases enzymes
1. In a centrifuged sample of blood, what makes up the buffy coat?
- White blood cells and platelets
2. Which plasma constituent is the main contributor to osmotic pressure?
3. Which of the following represents a difference between extrinsic and
1. The stimuli causing endocrine glands to secrete their hormones in direct response to changing blood
levels of certain critical ions and nutrients are called _.
2. Which of the following adrenal gland homeostatic imbalances is character