John Huggins NSCI 3543-801 World Hunger and Hunger in America
World Hunger and Hunger in America
What is hunger? Hunger can be defined as the physiological as well as the
psychological discomfort caused by the lack of food. World hunger is the number on
North & South Europe Review
Monday, October 12, 2015
1) How did the British influence American meal composition?
a. Animal protein central to most meals in addition to eggs and cheese
i. Added proteins to all our meals
c. English drin
Central Europeans and Scandinavians Review
Tuesday, October 20, 2015
1) What are the 4 main contributions to American Food culture from Central
a. Bread baking
b. Dairy farming
c. Meat processing
d. Beer brewing
2) Food preservation
SE Asia and Pacific Islands
Tuesday, November 24, 2015
1. What country has had a large influence on Filipino cuisine?
A. Food prepped and meal patterns were influenced by Spain
2. What are the 3 principles of Filipino cooking?
A. Never cook any
Balkans and Middle East
Monday, November 30, 2015
1. What religions are predominate in the Balkans? What does this mean in regards
to food intake?
Eastern Orthodox, Islam, Christian, Catholic, Judaism, others. Temperature and
well suited to ag
Caribbean and South America
Tuesday, November 10, 2015
1) What is the foreign influence in the Caribbean diet?
Introduced cattle, goats, hogs, sheep
Breadfruit, coffee, limes, mangoes, oranges
Spices: ginger, nutmeg and mace
Tuesday, November 17, 2015
1) What foods did foreigners introduce to the Chinese that are widely popular
A. Bananas, peanuts and chile peppers
2) What is the foundation of the Chinese diet?
A. Numerous fruits, vegetables and pr
Mexico and Central America
Tuesday, November 3, 2015
1) How did the Spanish influence Mexican Cuisine?
A. Spanish introduced Longhorn Cattle, Dairy Cows and Wheat
2) What are main components to the Mexican diet?
A. 4-5 daily meals when income pe
Monday, December 7, 2015
1. What is the Indian diet based on?
a. Based on grains and legumes:
ii. Dal: Dried beans, peas, lentils
2. What are some common differences in North/South Indian cuisine?
i. Wheat, Tea,
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
1. What are "The Ingredients"?
A. The Ingredients = Tomatoes, Hot Chili Peppers, & Onions
2. What is the predominate fat in West Africa fare?
A. Palm oil - gives food a red hue (peanut, shea or coconut oil also
Eliminating Food Poisoning
As you know, in the past few weeks there have been a few deaths and hundreds left
sick from contaminated cucumbers here in the U.S. due to the frequency of food
poisoning here in the states, we need a fix.
Food and Culture Chapter 4
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
1. Describe the 8 Jewish Dietary Laws
1st. Which animals are permitted and which are not?
i. Permitted :
1) Any mammal with completely cloven foot & chews cud: