1. Montesquieu is friend of commerce but not a propagandist because he concedes
key points to the other sides
2. Montesquieu uses a word for gentle and sweet not soft to describe the effects of
commerce and luxury.
3. Wants to create a self-interest over
1. Rousseau wants people to be doing the same thing for generations.
2. He wants to prevent beggars and rich
3. Hayek wanted to create basic minimums and humanitarianism/egalitarianism
a. Cant eliminate or prevent inequality
4. Hume says luxury is both go
1. In preface takes no position on whether natural state. By the time records
emerged, we were far away from natural state, so he just posturing without
2. Rousseau is often seen as anthropological forefather, but scholars dislike him
1. He is an enemy of superstition, fanaticism, and orthodoxy but he believes they
can establish dignity
1. Smith believes paper money should be reserved between
2. The proper business of law is not to infringe but support
3. For the most part he is in fav
1. European conservative want to go back to feudalism. American conservative want
greater free trade. The Democrats are more conservative economically
a. Democrats are often against change including defending existing way of
doing things including social
1. One force is stronger governments and the other is self-constraint
a. When going on journey, used to be worried about safety.
b. Need to be tough, ferocious when going to journey
c. Main thing you need to be worried about is focus because driving
Chapter 13 The principal reason for this is that the first do not think of the evils they
endure, whereas the others dream constantly of the goods they do not have (511-12)
1. Mostly this class focuses on pro capitalist thought in the 18th cen
Timeline: Bubble bursts, Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac,
AIG, then Citigroup and Merrill Lynch go under. Freezes credit market. People lose
confidence. The economy goes into full blown recession.
Underlying Causes: People taking
1. In the beginning of the reformation, Protestants did not reject Catholicism because
it was authoritarian because Catholicism did not have any real power.
2. Webers Protestants ethics does not apply to all Protestants. He believed radical
sect such as C
1. Radical protestant sects, Baptists, Quakers, Calvinists, directed inner-worldly
a. Calvinists have salvation anxiety pre-destination of whether or not you
will be saved
b. Radical Protestants became focused on doing good works despite predes