1. Who termed the word atomos, meaning atom?
2. Who explained the nature of combustion with the law of conservation of mass that says
matter cannot be creat
1. A double bond is as effective as _ electron pair
2. Sp2 hybridization gives a _ planar arrangement of atomic orbitals.
1. What is electromagnetic radiation?
a. The distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave
b. The number of waves (cycles) per second that pass a given point in space
c. Radiant energy that exhibits
1. True or False. The larger the electronegativity difference, the more polar covalent the bond is.
2. The element with the smallest electronegativity has a _ sign.
a. b. +
c. d. +
C, 13C, and 14 C are all isotopes with six protons but they have how many neutrons?
a) 6, 7, 8
b) 12, 14, 16
c) 12, 13, 14
d) 6, 7, 9
2. What is Avogadros number?
a) 6.022 x 1023
b) 6.22 x 1023
1. _ is the dissolving medium in aqueous solutions.
b) Phosphoric acid
c) OHd) Water
2. When ionic substances (salts) dissolve in water, they break up into combined anions and
1. Which definition best defines work?
a) Energy due to position or composition
b) Force acting over a distance
c) A property of the system that depends only on its present state
d) Capacity to do work or to produ
1. What conditions cause atmospheric pressure to vary?
a) Changes in weather conditions
d) A and B only
e) A and C only
2. What is the formula for pressure?
a) Pressure = tem
1. A theory
a) Is an attempt to explain why something happens
b) Summarizes what happens
c) Summarizes when something happens
d) Is an attempt to explain where something happens
2. Precision reflects