Interest Groups Calls to Action
- Interest groups represent popular beliefs that groups of people share. It is better to join a
group and strive to reach a goal rather than be by yourself. Interest groups represent
majority of the political process in the
Interest Groups and the Branches of Government
- There are also private lobbying firms as well. These organizations advertise their
specialties as either public relations or law firms. These firms differ in size. These firms
will have connections in polit
Tactics of interest groups
Interest Groups seek to gain affluence in the making of laws and policy formation.
They are key in the decision making process
Lobbying- seek to persuade others that their particular interest or the interest
How Our Democracy Actually Works
- While we do have a democracy, there are some factors that are entailed into this. The
popular or majoritanism model of how power is exercised and maintained is by the
masses. This majority determines which policy is dete
Define health. What are its determinants?
State of complete physical mental and social wellbeing not merely the absence of disease.
Determinants include biology, behaviors, social environment, physical environment,
polices and intervention, qu
Government Systems around the World
- As of 2004, it has been identified that there are nearly 25 nations around the world that
follow a federal system of government.
o Some examples include, Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina,
Government Responses to Public Opinion
- By taking polls, legislators can gain a better idea of what their constituents want. With
this information, they can respond by enacting legislation or taking other actions.
- In the 1980s there was a growing conce
- Rational for Government intervention
o Tariffs= government revenue
o Ensure safety and the welfare of the citizens
o Helps government pursue broad economical, political, and social objectives for
o Can serve the intere
Functions of Political Parties
- Political parties are in debate about whether or not they are truly needed anymore. Many
people will argue that there is no need and they are unnecessary. There are however some
important duties political parties perform.
Functions of Congress
- Political parties are responsible for assigning their own membership to standing
committees. It is these standing committees that where most of the bureaucracy and
legislation falls into. Members have sought committee assignments f
- After the Articles of Confederation proved to be ineffective, the framers of the
constitution devised a federation. A federation establishes a sharing of power between the
central government and the state governments as well. Both would have
Federalism and You
- Franklin D. Roosevelt implemented the New Deal program in the 1930s to help with the
Great Depression. This caused a growth in bureaucracy with the national government as
well as state governments.
o Mostly, New Deal programs were imp
Evaluation of Media and the Government
- There has been a substantial evolution of the media throughout the centuries from the
printing press all the way to the internet. Improvements in the printing press established
an increase in newspaper readership w
Elitist vs. Pluralists
- The pluralists perspective says that no one group dominates policy making and
legislation in the United States. Policy making is balanced and there is an even amount of
competition between rivaling groups. This view states that an
Different Political Systems
- Political System: Set of formal institutions that constitutes a government. This includes
legal bodies, political parties, and lobbyists. A political system also defines how these
groups interact with one another.
- Legal sys
- Bicameral: The Legislative branch is bicameral meaning that it is composed of two
chambers. These two chambers are the Senate and the House of Representatives.
- Casework: Members of Congress and their staffs like to aid their consti
- In the 2006 election, there were more women in both chambers than ever before. There
were about 70 women in the House and 16 in the Senate. Nancy Pelosi became the new
Speaker of the House, and was thus third in line to the p
- These are norms that are unwritten forms of behavior which govern how the
congressional members behave. These norms have helped Congress act more efficient
1. Specialization: Members typically specialize their efforts
Congress and Major Players
- The most important political relationship is one between Congress and the President. We
are a nation of checks and balances and we have a separation of powers among our
governmental institutions. However, the President and Con
- Americans tend to not have any interest in the government or politics. This is a bad habit
however many people cannot answer basic questions like:
1. What is the name of your Representative?
2. What are the names of your two senator