Policy Modification from Policy Initiation
- Sometimes policies do not perform according to plan and they must be modified. This has
happened many a time throughout the years.
o Certain agencies are charged with policy analysis. This analysis becomes the
Political Opinion among Social Groups
- Looking at polls would tell anyone that there are differences in responses based on who
the people are. For example, there are differences based on peoples income/education,
race, gender, age, region, religious grou
- Political economy refers to the ways that the government influences the economy and the
extent to which economic factors influence government policy.
- It is impossible to discuss government without discussing economics
- John Locke de
Political Economy Part 2
- The economy of the United States is a postindustrial society. Most of our lower labored
and skilled jobs have been outsourced to countries where this labor can be done cheaper.
A postindustrial economy is characterized as being
- Public policy is derived from the government. The government acts on behalf of citizens.
Citizens have a say when it comes to what policy is initiated, but few will actually do so.
Voting is a privilege that should be exercised by all.
- Steps in the policy implementation phrase
1. Rulemaking: Establishment of the formal rules. This is necessary to develop the intent
embedded in public laws.
2. Operation of Public Laws: This serves as a vehicle to implement laws. I
- The policy formulation phrase results in the form of new public laws or amendments to
existing laws. Those pertaining to health are initiated by interaction of diverse health
- Agenda Setting is a crucial step in the process.
Policy Formation, Agenda Setting, and Interest Groups
Discuss agenda setting as the confluence of three streams of activities. (Include the
window of opportunity for legislation)
Three streams of activities include problems, possible solutions to problem
- Policy Competency is the skills, abilities, knowledge, and know how that permit an
inidicual, organization, or any other entity to successfully:
o Analyze the public policymaking process to further research the effect on his or
- Rulemaking: process through which the executive branch agencies write the rules to
guide law implementation
o Decisions made by legislators are codified in the statutory language of specific
pieces of enacted legislation
- Forms of Health