205. You are leading a team of researchers at a pharmaceutical company. Your goal is to design
drugs that help fight cancer. Specifically, you want to focus on drugs that bind to and inactivate
certain proteins, thereby halting cell cycle progression. One
148.Some enzymatic receptors and most G-protein-coupled receptors carry the signal molecule's
message into the target cell by utilizing other substances within the cytoplasm commonly called
B. intracellular receptors.
D. second messe
176.Nuclear division in eukaryotic cells is called
^ B J mitosis.
C. binary fission.
177.Nucleosomes are located in the
A. nucleus attached to the ends of DNA strands.
B. nucleus and are composed of DNA and histones.
94. In an experiment described in a chemistry lab book, the directions state that after mixing the two
chemicals (A and B) and waiting 5 minutes that B will be reduced. This means that
A. chemical B has lost electrons to chemical A.
B. chemical B has gain
182.Cytoplasmic organelles are partitioned between two daughter cells during
183.Growth of the cell; synthesis of enzymes; normal metabolism is seen during
184.Chromosomes are readily visible under the mic
46. The eukaryotic organelle that is directly involved in the transport of proteins synthesized on the
surface of the rough ER is called
47. Mitochondria and chloroplasts are the
20. One mole of a substance contains 6.02 x 10 molecules. The atomic number of Li is 3 and the
atomic mass is approximately 7. If you have three moles of Li, how many grams does it weigh?
C. 1.806 x 10
D. cannot determine from the information provid
85. Oxidation and reduction reactions are chemical processes that result in a gain or loss in
A. a t o m s .
86. A chemical reaction in w h i c h the products contain less energy than the
153.You are having lunch with an elderly friend when suddenly he begins to experience chest pain
and tightness. He reaches into his pocket, gets out one of his nitroglycerin tablets and quickly
takes it. After the episode passes, your friend asks you how
145.The molecules that convert extracellular signals into intracellular ones are
B. peptide hormones.
C. cell surface receptors.
D. growth factor proteins.
146. AII of the following statements about chemically-gated ion cha
104.Which of the following scenarios would not result in a decrease in free energy?
A. Enthalpy increases and entropy decreases.
B. Enthalpy decreases and entropy increases.
C. Enthalpy increases, but entropy increase outweighs increase in enthalpy.
34. You arrive late to a biological seminar. However, just as you enter the room, you hear the
speaker referring to the "five-prime end" and the "three-prime end" of a macromolecule.
Immediately, you know that they are talking about a
9. You have been assigned to address a problem of overpopulation of species X in a nearby county.
One of the members of your team suggests introducing species Y, which is a natural predator of
species X, but not normally found in the area. After some disc
49. The endosymbiotic theory is supported by the finding of non-nuclear DNA in which of the
A. mitochondria and lysosomes
B. mitochondria and Golgi apparatus
itochondria and chloroplasts
D. chloroplasts and Golgi apparatus
119.During aerobic respiration the final acceptor of the hydrogen atoms is
B. carbon dioxide.
120.When substrate-level phosphorylation occurs, it means that
A. NAD is converted into NADH.
B. ATP is converted into
40. The proteins of the plasma membrane are in large part responsible for the cell's ability to interact
with its environment. They act as or are involved in all of the following functions except
194.The cell organelles replicate prior to genomic separation in
195. The framework of microtubules that appears in cell division which eventually moves the
chromatids apart is called the
B. cell plate.
191.Eukaryotic chromosomes are coated with proteins containing a high proportion of basic amino
acids. These proteins are given the name
192.Some of the portions of the chromatin are perm
210.ln animals, the cells that will eventually undergo meiosis to produce gametes are set aside early
in the development. These are
A. haploid cells,
C. sex cells.
E. sperm and egg cells.
211 The synaptonemal complex develops e
221.You are studying mitosis in an organism that has 28 chromosomes as its diploid number. How
many chromosomes will the cell have after mitosis, but before cytokinesis?
222.You are studying meiosis in an organism that has 28 chromosom
200.A cell biologist is conducting a karyotype procedure on alligator red blood cells. Exactly what
does this mean?
A. It means that red blood cells from the alligator will be examined with a microscope and the
nuclei will be counted.
B. It means that red
158.Leptin is a hormone that is produced by fat cells and plays a role in body metabolism and
obesity. Studies have demonstrated that when obese mice are injected with leptin they quickly
lose their excess weight. Interestingly, however, many overweight p
133.ln the dark reactions of photosynthesis, CO2 is added to a five-carbon sugar-phosphate known
134. Visible light has a wavelength range of
B. 200-800 nanometers.
C. 200-400 n
185.If the centrioles are mispositioned in the cell, a functional mitotic spindle will fail to form. In this
situation, how will chromosome segregation be affected?
A. Microtubules will not attach to the kinetochores.
B. The sister chromatids will be pull
170.The physical map of the array of chromosomes is called a(n)
171 T h e physical distribution of cytoplasmic material into the two daughter cells is called
A. DNA replication.
155.What characteristics do all cell surface receptors share?
A. They are composed of hydrophilic proteins.
jS/They all must bind to a molecule to be activated.
C. They all result in creation of an ion channel.
D. They include the activation of a G protei
101.Which of the following statements concerning redox reactions are false?
A. The reduced form of a molecule has a higher level of energy than the oxidized form.
B. Reduction is the gain of an electron, and oxidation is the loss of an electron.
79. During neuronal signaling, a c h a n g e in m e m b r a n e potential will cause s o d i u m channels to open
a n d let N a ions diffuse d o w n their concentration gradient into the cell. W h i c h of the following
helps establish the concentration
43. Prokaryotic cell movement is attributed to the
44. Which of the following is not bounded by membranes?
A. endoplasmic reticulum
C. Golgi body
70. Membrane proteins serve many functions. One of the functions is transportation of substances
across the membrane. If a cell biologist placed cells into an environment in which a chemical has
been added that blocks the function of these transport prote
122.The Krebs cycle occurs in the mitochondria. There are nine biochemical reactions involved in the
Krebs cycle, and they are highly ordered. Select the correct order from the following choices.
(Note: These are abbreviated and do not show NAD, ADP, ATP,
29. Fructose and galactose all have the same six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms, and six
oxygen atoms, just as glucose. A friend of yours says to you, "Since two of those sugars have the
same number of atoms, they should all have the same name." You
55. If you were working inside of a cell and you needed to move a vesicle along microtubules toward
the center of the cell, which molecular motor(s) would you choose to help you?
C. both kinesin and dynein
D. Molecular motors are not