130.You arrive at your second home in the mountains looking forward to a relaxing vacation.
Unfortunately, when you turn on the water you smell hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas. After some
research, you find out that the H2S may be due to the presence of sulfur
31. Which of the following best describes an enzyme?
A. reacts with other enzymes to form a product
B. catalyzes chemical reactions
C. structural protein
D. inorganic cofactor
32. You recently identified a novel protein that contains several membrane-span
26. Chitin, a modified form of cellulose, is not only cross-linked with proteins but also its glucose units
are modified with atoms of
27. Which of the following lipid classes is found in Chl
BIOLOGY FINAL EXAM STUDY QUESTIONS
Biological order can be seen in a
organization, from the level of highly structured
organic molecules in the cells to the highest level of populations and communities in biomes and
37. Even though they were similarly created by endosymbiosis,
are important in
respiration, while chloroplasts are involved in photosynthesis.
38. Many eukaryotic cells possess flagella or cilia, which have
136.Embedded in the thylakoid membrane and protruding as knobs from the outer surface into the
stroma, there are
A. enzymes that fix carbon dioxide.
BJ proton channels that synthesize ATP.
C. chlorophyll a and b.
E. specialized bundle sh
96. Which of the following best depicts a diagram of enzymes and substrates when they react?
Assume only forward reactions. Use the following to make your choice: E = enzyme, S =
substrate, ES = enzyme-substrate complex, P = products.
A. E + P - ES
B. E +
124.If you were an anaerobic bacterium and needed to harvest energy, which of the following would
be your best option?
A. glycolysis and fermentation
B. fermentation and cellular respiration
C. Krebs cycle and fermentation
D. fermentation only
82. E n z y m e s w o r k most effectively at
( ^ ^ t h e i r o p t i m u m pH and temperature conditions
B. all pH and temperature conditions
C. only one temperature a n d a specific pH
83. Certain key molecules can regulate biochemical pathways by contr
74. A s a scientist you perform an experiment in w h i c h you create an artificial cell with a selectively
permeable m e m b r a n e through w h i c h only water can pass. Y o u put a 5 M solution of glucose into
the cell a n d y o u place that into a be
127The chemical 2,4 dinitrophenol (DNP) is used in the manufacturing of dyes, wood preservatives,
explosives, and insect control substances, and as a photographic developer. Products containing
DNP are toxic because DNP uncouples oxidative phosphorylation
72. One day during the summer you and some friends made ice cream using an electric ice cream
maker. A few days later you noticed a yellow circle of dead grass where the ice cream freezer
had been placed. What happened?
A. The ice and salt mixture that
107.Because the chemical formation of ATP is driven by a diffusion force similar to osmosis, this
process is referred to as
108. When oxygen is limiting, during heavy exercise, muscle
139. Your class project involves a presentation of the photoelectric effect. Which of the following
materials would be the most helpful for a clear demonstration?
glow in the dark stickers and a UV light
B. glow in the dark stickers and an infrared light
6. The rate at which evolution is occurring cannot be estimated by
A. studying comparative anatomy.
B^ inferring that apes are related to humans.
C. measuring the degree of difference in genetic coding.
D. interpretation of the fossil record.
67. In a single sodium-potassium pump cycle, ATP is used up with the result that
^7^3 sodium ions leave and 2 potassium ions enter.
B. 2 sodium ion enters and 1 potassium ion leaves.
C. 2 sodium ion leaves and 1 potassium ion enters.
D. 3 sodium ions ente
64. Which of the following protein classes are not found as membrane proteins?
A. transport channels
E. identity markers
65. Osmosis can only occur if water travels through the
A. cell wall.
| B^semi-permeable membrane.
116.The end-product of glycolysis is
B. NAD .
117.The enzymes catalyzing the reactions of glycolysis are found in the
E. Golgi apparatus.
118.The oxygen uti
52. Which of the following animals has the largest surface area to volume ratio AND is matched
correctly with its metabolic rate?
( A ^ n o u s e , high metabolic rate
B. mouse, low metabolic rate
C. elephant, high metabolic rate
D. elephant, low metaboli
98. One type of biochemical pathway regulation is referred to as feedback inhibition. This means that
^Tv^ell produces more quantity of product through a biochemical pathway, the build up of that
product will inhibit the activity of that product's
77. While eating lobster for dinner one night you begin thinking about the fact that this type of marine
invertebrate is isosmotic with respect to the surrounding seawater. Y o u r friend asks w h a t w o u l d
h a p p e n if the lobster y o u w e r e eat
58. Osmosis occurs as water can cross the lipid bilayer through
channels for water movement.
B. transmembrane carbohydrates
C. membrane pores
59. The plasma membrane is a thin sheet of lipid embedded with
164.You are performing an experiment to assay phosphorylation of a substrate by a protein kinase.
Based on the data in the table below, what do these experimental results suggest?
85. Oxidation and reduction reactions are chemical processes that result in a gain or loss in
A. a t o m s .
86. A chemical reaction in w h i c h the products contain less energy than the
148.Some enzymatic receptors and most G-protein-coupled receptors carry the signal molecule's
message into the target cell by utilizing other substances within the cytoplasm commonly called
B. intracellular receptors.
D. second messe
176.Nuclear division in eukaryotic cells is called
^ B J mitosis.
C. binary fission.
177.Nucleosomes are located in the
A. nucleus attached to the ends of DNA strands.
B. nucleus and are composed of DNA and histones.
94. In an experiment described in a chemistry lab book, the directions state that after mixing the two
chemicals (A and B) and waiting 5 minutes that B will be reduced. This means that
A. chemical B has lost electrons to chemical A.
B. chemical B has gain
182.Cytoplasmic organelles are partitioned between two daughter cells during
183.Growth of the cell; synthesis of enzymes; normal metabolism is seen during
184.Chromosomes are readily visible under the mic
KH 2220 DAY 2
LAURA ABBOTT, MS, LMT
Introduction to Clinical Anatomy
Introduction to Bone
Function of Bone
Support: gives shape to the body, and allows us to
Protection: brain is protected by the c
ASSIGNMENT 1 PART 1
KH 2221 Anatomy Lab Fall 2017
Due September 3
Directions: Part 1: Complete the following word document and submit to dropbox (75 points)
Part 2: Complete the document labeled Assignment 1 Part 2 Skull
Submit to dropbox (25 points)
ASSIGNMENT 2 PART 1
KH 2221 Anatomy Lab Fall 2017
Due September 17
Directions: Part 1: Complete the following word document and submit to iCollege (77 points)
Part 2: Complete the document labeled Assignment 2 Part 2 Vertebral Column
Worksheet. Submit to
Biol 2110 Anatomy and Physiology
Chapter 13 Brain
1. Name the major regions of the brain. Cerebrum, Diencephalon, brainstem, cerebellum
2. The brain and spinal cord belong to _CNS_ whereas the cranial nerves belong to