Tissues - Introduction
study of tissues
What was the definition of a tissue?
has approx. 200 different cell
Only 4 basic tissue types:
CELLULAR LEVEL OF
INTRODUCTION TO CELLS
Cytology study of cellular structure and function
Cells are building blocks of life
All cells come from the division of preexisting cells
Cells are the smallest
Intro to A&P
Overview Anatomy &
Anatomy study of structure
Oldest medical science
Internal/External structures and physical relationships
Physiology study of function
Important Concept: All specific functions are
(2-12 and 2-13)
Chapter 2 Overview
The chapter contains concepts covered in Intro
Biology and Intro Chemistry courses:
Types of Chemical Bonds
Basic Energy Concepts
Properties of Water/Aqueous Solutions
Connective Tissues ID Sheet
For each type of tissue listed, you should be able to
1) Identify the tissue from a slide
2) Name at least one function for that type of tissue
3) Identify at least one location in the body where you would find that type of tis
43. Prokaryotic cell movement is attributed to the
44. Which of the following is not bounded by membranes?
A. endoplasmic reticulum
C. Golgi body
70. Membrane proteins serve many functions. One of the functions is transportation of substances
across the membrane. If a cell biologist placed cells into an environment in which a chemical has
been added that blocks the function of these transport prote
122.The Krebs cycle occurs in the mitochondria. There are nine biochemical reactions involved in the
Krebs cycle, and they are highly ordered. Select the correct order from the following choices.
(Note: These are abbreviated and do not show NAD, ADP, ATP,
29. Fructose and galactose all have the same six carbon atoms, twelve hydrogen atoms, and six
oxygen atoms, just as glucose. A friend of yours says to you, "Since two of those sugars have the
same number of atoms, they should all have the same name." You
55. If you were working inside of a cell and you needed to move a vesicle along microtubules toward
the center of the cell, which molecular motor(s) would you choose to help you?
C. both kinesin and dynein
D. Molecular motors are not
23. The covalent bonds connecting monomer units in sugars can be formed by the removal of a
water molecule. A reaction referred to as
24. DNA, RNA, and ATP contain functional units known as
1052 Ashby Grove Southwest, Atlanta, GA 30314
Home: 4242568780 - Cell: 3237425238 - [email protected]
PROFESSIONAL S UMMARY
Motivated and results-oriented student with expertise in industrial and chemical energy
efficiency and renewable
14. Life is thought to have evolved from complex molecules formed by the interaction of smaller
molecules in oceans and the atmosphere. The substance which brought these molecules
together to interact is
17. Identify the atomic particle with no charge.
18. Identify the atomic particle with a positive charge.
19. Identify the smallest particle in the atom.
61. Which of the following properties is not true of membrane phospholipids?
A. The hydrophobic tails are oriented towards the interior.
B. The hydrophilic heads are oriented towards the exterior.
(iS^Only the saturated fatty acids are always present.
127The chemical 2,4 dinitrophenol (DNP) is used in the manufacturing of dyes, wood preservatives,
explosives, and insect control substances, and as a photographic developer. Products containing
DNP are toxic because DNP uncouples oxidative phosphorylation
107.Because the chemical formation of ATP is driven by a diffusion force similar to osmosis, this
process is referred to as
108. When oxygen is limiting, during heavy exercise, muscle
139. Your class project involves a presentation of the photoelectric effect. Which of the following
materials would be the most helpful for a clear demonstration?
glow in the dark stickers and a UV light
B. glow in the dark stickers and an infrared light
6. The rate at which evolution is occurring cannot be estimated by
A. studying comparative anatomy.
B^ inferring that apes are related to humans.
C. measuring the degree of difference in genetic coding.
D. interpretation of the fossil record.
67. In a single sodium-potassium pump cycle, ATP is used up with the result that
^7^3 sodium ions leave and 2 potassium ions enter.
B. 2 sodium ion enters and 1 potassium ion leaves.
C. 2 sodium ion leaves and 1 potassium ion enters.
D. 3 sodium ions ente
64. Which of the following protein classes are not found as membrane proteins?
A. transport channels
E. identity markers
65. Osmosis can only occur if water travels through the
A. cell wall.
| B^semi-permeable membrane.
116.The end-product of glycolysis is
B. NAD .
117.The enzymes catalyzing the reactions of glycolysis are found in the
E. Golgi apparatus.
118.The oxygen uti
52. Which of the following animals has the largest surface area to volume ratio AND is matched
correctly with its metabolic rate?
( A ^ n o u s e , high metabolic rate
B. mouse, low metabolic rate
C. elephant, high metabolic rate
D. elephant, low metaboli
98. One type of biochemical pathway regulation is referred to as feedback inhibition. This means that
^Tv^ell produces more quantity of product through a biochemical pathway, the build up of that
product will inhibit the activity of that product's
77. While eating lobster for dinner one night you begin thinking about the fact that this type of marine
invertebrate is isosmotic with respect to the surrounding seawater. Y o u r friend asks w h a t w o u l d
h a p p e n if the lobster y o u w e r e eat
72. One day during the summer you and some friends made ice cream using an electric ice cream
maker. A few days later you noticed a yellow circle of dead grass where the ice cream freezer
had been placed. What happened?
A. The ice and salt mixture that
74. A s a scientist you perform an experiment in w h i c h you create an artificial cell with a selectively
permeable m e m b r a n e through w h i c h only water can pass. Y o u put a 5 M solution of glucose into
the cell a n d y o u place that into a be
130.You arrive at your second home in the mountains looking forward to a relaxing vacation.
Unfortunately, when you turn on the water you smell hydrogen sulfide (H2S) gas. After some
research, you find out that the H2S may be due to the presence of sulfur
31. Which of the following best describes an enzyme?
A. reacts with other enzymes to form a product
B. catalyzes chemical reactions
C. structural protein
D. inorganic cofactor
32. You recently identified a novel protein that contains several membrane-span
26. Chitin, a modified form of cellulose, is not only cross-linked with proteins but also its glucose units
are modified with atoms of
27. Which of the following lipid classes is found in Chl