1. Explain how Ben & Jerrys is using business intelligence tools to remain successful and
competitive in a saturated market.
In a highly saturated market, a company like Ben & Jerrys is able to remain successful by
using business intelligence tools to acc
1. How is the DoD is using AI to improve its operations and save lives?
- By making one-third of the ground military forces autonomous or driverless
vehicles by 2015.
2. Why would the DoD use an event like the DARPA Grand Challenge to further
1. Brainstorm 2 or 3 types of data economists use to measure the economy.
- One type of data that can be used to measure the economy is cross-sectional
data. Also, data that is based on time (time-series data).
2. How do they turn the data into informatio
1. What does business intelligence really mean to a business? How did CPR save
millions for CKE?
- Business intelligence, to a business, means having the right information, in
the right format, at the right time to make the best decision.
CKE monitors thi
1. One of the problems with DIAs baggage system was inadequate testing.
Describe the different types of tests DIA could have used to help ensure its
baggage systems success
- Application (or system) testing: This would have been a simple matter of
How many organizations have your personal information, including your
Social Security number, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers?
- Plenty of organizations do. From grocery stores, the DMV, utility companies,
1. In todays global business environment, does the physical location of a
While Thomas Friedman argues that globalization has caused the world to
become flat enabling you to export your talents anywhere, I do believe that
Michael Porter i
1. Explain why the supply chain can dramatically impact a companys base performance?
A supply chain includes every activity and party involved, directly or indirectly, in
obtaining, delivering, and/ or providing all of the goods and services required to f
1. What is immediate, up-to-date information?
All of the above
2. Which of the following represents the different information formats?
Individual, department, enterprise
Detail, summary, aggr
1. Describe the difference between transactional and analytical information, and
determine which of these types Spotlight used to identify its 10 tribes.
Transactional information encompasses all of the information within a single business
process or unit
1. A database management system (DBMS) can only interact with other software application
2. Redundancy is the duplication of information, or storing the same information in multiple
3. A central repository does not
1. The Data Warehousing Institute estimates that low-quality information costs U.S. businesses
$60 billion annually.
2. Extraction, transformation, and loading is a process that extracts information from internal
databases, transforms the infor
1. Do you agree with or disagree with Friedmans assessment that
the world is flat? Be sure to justify your answer.
I agree with Friedmans assessment that the world is flat; and the
continuing development of new and better technologies seems to
1. Why did FAO Inc. have to declare bankruptcy?
FAO Inc. had to declare bankruptcy because they were unable, or potentially unwilling,
to adjust their prices in order to remain competitive and successfully operate within the
same market as big box stores
1. Data latency is the time from which data are made available to the time when analysis is
2. Improving the quality of business decisions has a direct impact on costs and revenue.
3. The three forms of BI include operation
The Virtual Store, Inc.
Part A: The Company and Products:
The Virtual Store incorporated provides customers with a very wide range of products at
the lowest prices. We excel in reducing our prices and customer satisfaction through our on