Section 1: Categories of Classification
Taxonomy (pg 300)
The science of naming and classifying organisms is called _
A simple two name system for naming organisms was founded by Carl Linnaeus.
o Linneauss two word naming systems for naming _ is
Symbiotic Species (Page 364)
In _, two or more _ live together in a close,
_ - _ association.
Symbiotic relationships can be _ to both organisms or benefit one
_ and leave the other_ or
Predators and Prey Coevolve (Page 362)
_ is the act of one organ
During which years is this population growing?
During which years is this population decreasing?
One of the most important _ of any population is its _.
The number of _ in a population, or _
_, can affect the populations ability to _.
What is the populat
In time, the _ of _ that carry
favorable _ that are also inherited will
_ in a population.
Thus, the _ of the _ will change a
process called _.
Each species has _ and has
_ adaptations in response to its particular
o An _ is an inherited _ that has
Change of Ecosystems Over Time
When a _ forms a new island, a _ recedes
and exposes bare _, or a _ burns all of the vegetation in an
area, a new _ is created.
This change sets off a process of _ and ecosystem
The first _ to live in a new habitat where
o Density Dependent variables depend upon the population
_ of the population that uses them (Bottom of pg 322).
o Density Independent variables do not depend on population density.
Name 2 Density Dependent Factors and 2 Density Independent Factors
Interactions of Organisms and Their Environment
_ is the study of the interactions of living _
with one another and with their physical _.
The place where a particular _ of a _
lives is its _.
The many different _ that live together in a habitat are calle
Answer the following questions:
1. Which taxonomic group in the broadest (Biggest)?
2. Which taxonomic group is the most specific (Smallest)?
3. What are the 3 domains of life? (pg 302)
4. What is Linneaeuss two word naming system for naming organisms?
1. Which two organisms are the closest related?
2. Which two organisms are the farthest related to one another?
3. What is the ancestral character of all of the organisms in the cladogram?
4. What is the derived character that sets apart the spid