71. How did French involvement in the fur trade change life for Native Americans?
a. It didnt; Native Americans were already hunting beaver and buffalo for their skins.
b. Native Americans benefited economically but were able to avoid getting caught in Eu
81. As governor of New Netherland, Petrus Stuyvesant:
a. welcomed all religious faiths to the colony.
b. favored Catholics over Jews in New Amsterdam.
c. encouraged the Dutch colonists to convert the Indians.
d. saw women as equals in the Dutch Reformed C
31. What geographic error did Columbus make?
a. He grossly underestimated the size of the earth.
b. He thought the earth was not round, but flat.
c. He was certain that India was east of the Americas.
d. He expected the weather in India to be the same as
11. Which statement about the Indians of North America is FALSE?
a. Indians were very diverse.
b. The idea of private property was foreign to Indians.
c. Many Indian societies were matrilineal.
d. Indians did not covet wealth and material goods as the Eur
51. How did Spain justify enslaving Native Americans?
a. The Spanish believed that enslavement could liberate Native Americans from their backwardness
and savagery and introduce them to Christian civilization.
b. Pope Alexander VI had approved Spanish sla
21. Which one of the following is true of religion in seventeenth-century Europe?
a. Few nations had established churches.
b. The churches condemned dissenters, but the governments protected them.
c. Wars were fought over the right of an individual to rel
61. Spanish Florida:
a. attracted large numbers of settlers.
b. became a British colony in 1607.
c. was little more than an isolated military settlement.
d. was the site of Juan de Oates attack on the inhabitants of Acoma.
e. attracted mostly elderly Span
1. Explain how the slave trade affected African society.
2. One Spanish official remarked that the maxim of the conqueror must be to settle. Explain what you
think he meant by this statement. Illustrate the various ways conquerors settled the New World,
1. Adam Smith recorded in 1776 that the two greatest and most important events in the history of
mankind were the:
a. discovery of America and the Portuguese sea route around Africa to Asia.
b. discovery of America and the beginning of the slave trade.
41. The Columbian Exchange was:
a. the agreement that documented what Christopher Columbus would give to Spanish leaders in
return for their sponsorship of his travel to the New World.
b. the transatlantic flow of plants, animals, and germs that began aft