1. List the five steps of Decision making.
The five steps to decision making are
Recognize that an Ethical Dilemma exists
Get the Facts
Evaluate Actions from Every Decision Making Approach
Make a Decision, Act, then Evaluate t
1. Identify and discuss two different goals that the criminal justice system has.
Two different goals that the criminal justice system has are deterrence and incapacitation.
Deterrence is used to either publicly punish someone to try and
1. What are the two types of white-collar crimes?
The two types of white-collar crimes are occupational crimes and corporate crimes.
2. What are three of the four types of occupational crime? Describe each type.
Three types of occupation
1. What are detention and correctional facilities? How are they different?
Detention facilities are places that take people who have been arrested and are awaiting
trial and correctional facilities are places where convicted offenders ser
Steven Pinker on the myth of violence:
1. What myth about violence is happening today?
Some myths about violence today is that we are more violent than our ancestors.
2. What does Pinker argue about violence?
Pinker argues that our ancestors were actually
The Real CSI
1. What happened in the investigation of the Madrid bombings with the fingerprint evidence?
The wrong person was arrested in the Madrid bombing with fingerprint evidence.
2. What assumptions have been made about fingerprints? What are the pro
The Anthrax Files
What is anthrax? How was anthrax used in the crimes?
Anthrax is a biochemical weapon that looks like baby powder that flys through the air. It was put into
letters and other things to try and get it to certain people or millions.
1. Why is cybercrime a problem today?
Cybercrime is a problem today because it has malicious code, it can steal many
different kinds of secret information.
2. What are cyber criminals like today?
Cyber criminals are professional and or
In 2003, the number of homicides was what percent of the total number of crimes
Less than one percent
What type of homicide includes crimes in which the offender planned to kill another
person and th
1. What are the two models of the criminal justice system that Packer identified? Describe each
The two models of the criminal justice system that Packer identifies are the crime control model
which is saying that the criminal just
A Death in St. Augustine
1. What is the question at the center of the situation discussed in the video?
The question at the center of the situation discussed in the video is if Jeremy Banks killed his girlfriend
Michelle or if she committed suicide.
What do you think is the most serious crime affecting society? Why?
I think that the most serious crime that affects our society today is homicide. It may not be what
is done most of the time but it can be the most violent. If you think about it there are
1. What is social disorganization theory?
The social disorganization theory argues that crime is related to social conflicts, social changes, and a
lack of consensus in a group.
2. What are three of the different adaptations that Merton
What is Crime?
o Crime is human actions that violate the formalized laws of a country, state, or city or
What are three different types of norms? Give an example of each.
What are sur
1. What are two of the different legal categories of homicide? Discuss each type and provide an
example of a homicide that would fall under the category.
First degree murder is when a person planned on killing an individual and then actu
Norms Standards of behavior.
Folkways- Everyday ways or customs of doing things.
Mores- Norms that have an underlying shared assumption of
approval or disapproval.
Laws- Formal norms.
Crime- Human actions that violate the forma
-The four different body stereotypes are:
1. Endomorphs- Individuals who are soft and round, with large digestive systems. Have big
stomachs and are overweight.
2. Mesomorphs- Individuals who are muscular and athletic. Have large bone st
Online Cyber Crime
1. How much money was lost to internet thievery? Is this number accurate?
Half a billion was lost to internet thievery, it is not accurate because most banks would not say how
much they lost because they didnt want to admit they had fla
Exploring the Mind of a Killer
1. What factors does Fallon suggest create psychopathic killers?
Fallon suggested that genes, environment, brain damage, and when all of those
factors occurred because it is a very precise process to make a psychopathic kill