Chapter 22: Neurologic System
1. The autonomic nervous system coordinates which of the following?
a. High-level cognitive function
b. Balance and affect
c. Internal organs of the body
d. Balance and equilibrium
Chapter 01: The History and Interviewing Process
1. Which question would be considered a leading question?
a. Please describe any associated symptoms with your headaches?
b. You dont get headaches often, do you?
c. What ac
Chapter 12: Ears, Nose, and Throat
1. In adults, the length of the external auditory canal is _ cm.
The external ear canal is approximately 2.5 cm long in adults.
REF: p. 231
Chapter 06: Growth and Measurement
1. The gonads begin to secrete estrogen and testosterone during
d. early childhood.
e. early adulthood.
At puberty, the gonads secrete testost
Chapter 10: Head and Neck
1. Which cranial nerves innervate the face?
a. II and V
b. III and VI
c. V and VII
d. VIII and IX
e. I and VII
Facial nerves are controlled by cranial nerves V and VII, cranial nerve I invo
Chapter 13: Chest and Lungs
1. Which chest structure contains all the thoracic viscera except the lungs?
e. Pleural cavities
The mediastinum, situated between the lu
Chapter 14: Heart
1. The condition in which a patients heart is either rotated or displaced to the right or is situated
as a mirror image of the expected position is called
Chapter 15: Blood Vessels
1. The structure that carries oxygenated blood to the body from the left ventricle is the
b. pulmonary artery.
c. pulmonary vein.
d. superior vena cava.
e. inferior vena cava.
Chapter 03: Examination Techniques and Equipment
1. Guidelines for Standard Precautions indicate that mask and eye protection or a face mask
should be worn while performing
trachea care and suctioning.
Chapter 21: Musculoskeletal System
1. Fluid that lubricates articular cavities is called
b. synovial fluid.
Articular cavities are lined with synovial membrane, which secre
Chapter 02: Cultural Competency
1. Which of the following describes a physical, not a cultural, differentiator?
Race is a physical, not a cultural, differentiator.
Chapter 17: Abdomen
1. A serous membrane that lines the abdominal cavity and forms a protective cover for many
abdominal structures is the
Chapter 04: Vital Signs and Pain Assessment
1. Which of the following is a subjective measurement?
c. Blood pressure
Pain is a subjective unpleasant symptom of many co
Chapter 07: Nutrition
1. Which of the following is a macronutrient?
Carbohydrates, protein, and fat are referred to as macronutrients because they are required in
Chapter 16: Breasts and Axillae
1. What breast structure drains milk from each lobe onto the surface of the nipple?
b. Lactiferous duct
c. Montgomery follicle
d. Tail of Spence
e. Coopers ligament
Chapter 18: Female Genitalia
1. Posteriorly, the labia minora meet as two ridges that fuse to form the
e. perineal body.
The labia minora join posteriorly at a junc
Chapter 08: Skin, Hair, and Nails
1. The skin repairs epidermal wounds by
a. exaggerating cell replacement.
b. excreting lactic acid.
c. producing vitamins.
d. providing a mechanical barrier.
e. increasing the vascularity
Chapter 09: Lymphatic System
1. Which of the following organs does not have lymphatic vessels?
Lymphatic tissues are found abundantly throughout the body except in t
Chapter 05: Mental Status
1. When is the mental status portion of the neurologic system examination performed?
a. During the history-taking process
b. Immediately after the vital signs are taken
c. During the time when que
Chapter 11: Eyes
1. A structure that protects the eye from foreign bodies is the
The eyelid distributes tears over the surface of the eye, limits the amount
Chapter 19: Male Genitalia
1. The movement of the testes by cremasteric muscular action regulates
a. ejaculatory flow.
b. sebaceous material production.
c. testicular temperature.
d. urinary flow.
e. prostate gland secreti
Chapter 20: Anus, Rectum, and Prostate
1. The adult internal rectal sphincter is controlled by the
a. autonomic nervous system.
b. central nervous system.
c. peripheral nervous system.
d. lumbar spinal reflexes.