Introduction: The Art of the Frame
1. Types of shots:
Extreme long shot = ELS
Long shot = LS
Medium Shot = MS
Close-up = CU
Extreme Close-up = ECU
RULE: Type of shot is determined by size of subjects in frame-not by how close camera
is to the subject
15th February, 2013
The first encounter between the cowboy and the villain in the Coens No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men, directed by the Coen brothers, is a contemporary Western
horror film fo
Outline of Scene Analysis Paper for No Country For Old Men
Summary of Plot
Thesis statement about the scene
2. Formulate a thesis through:
-exploration of significance of a scene
-illustrate changes an important
: A Visual Grammar
Shot: Perhaps the average shot is 10 seconds (very rarely a
fraction of a second, and usually not more than 15 or so seconds).
The average film is about an hour and a half, with about 600 shots.
A rare exception, Alfred Hitch
1) The Kingdom of Shadows
Coined by Russian writer Maxim Gorky
The idea that movie-goers:
1. Immerse themselves in the lives of fictional characters
2. Develop opinions about historical events
3. Become captivated by artistic combinations of c
16th April, 2013
Issues of Morality and Corruption in Inside Man
At a first glance at Spike Lees crime-drama film Inside Man is about an typical heist film
where the negotiator has to deal with a bank robbe
JMS 220: Introduction to Film Studies
Exam 2 Guide
Chapter 5 Mise en Scne:
1. What is mise en scne? What are the essential elements
of mise en scne?
2. What are the visual attributes of setting?
3. How do films use setting as an expressive element?