Chapter 16: Questions 1, 2, & 4
1. What are the types of system safety analysis for which PET is best suited?
It is best suited for performing operating hazard analysis and accident analysis.
2. What are two other uses for PET?
It can also be a valuable r
Chapter 3 Questions 1, 5, 7, and 18
1. Briefly discuss the purpose of MIL-STD-882.
This standard provides uniform requirements for developing and implementing a system safety program
off sufficient comprehensiveness to identify the hazards of a system and
First off, a tragedy, in terms of these plays, is the downfall of the main characters and the
unhappy endings they possess. We know that in Oedipus the King, the main character Oedipus
kills his own biological father and has incestuous relations
Chapter 8 Questions 2, 3, 6, and 8
2. Who prepares the preliminary hazard list? When? What techniques are recommended?
The PHL is normally prepared by the system safety working group and reviewed by the management
review boards. It should be started early
Running head: HUMAN FACTORS
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
System Safety Management
March 13, 2016
Human reliability is much lower than the reliability of that of m
Chapter 6 Questions 1 and 4
1. Discuss the difference between a product and a system.
A system is a composite consisting of people, procedures, and facilities and/or hardware working in a
given environment to perform a specific task. A product is generall
S Chapter 1 Questions 2, 4, 6
2. What made the fly-fix-fly approach unacceptable? What were the first types of programs to seek
something better than the fly-fix-fly approach?
Nuclear weapons and space travel truly made fly-fix-fly unacceptable. The conse
Chapter 13 Questions 3, 4, and 6
3. What are the sides of the accident triangle?
Unwanted energy flow (incident), Persons or object (target), LTA Barriers
4. For what types of analysis is ETBA well suited?
PHL, PHA, SSHA, and SHA
6. What general steps are
Chapter 11 Questions 2, 5, 6, and 7
2. Discuss the four Ts of risk management.
Terminate Risks can be terminated by either engineering the risk out of the system by making changes
in the types of energy and/or materials being used or by terminating the op