Film Questions #1
1. The film is called 1492: Conquest of Paradise. What point is Ridley Scott trying to
make with his word choice?
2. How is Columbus portrayed in the film? Is he a hero, villain, or both? Why?
1. What are Azikiwes arguments against imperialism? How does the experience of
World War II factor into his argument?
1. Azikiwe believes that the factors of capitalism and imperialism have slowed the normal
growth of Ni
1. What is the white mans burden?
2. What imagery does Kipling use to describe the natives?
1. The White Mans Burden was the idea that the Europeans had to forcefully bring
civilization to the natives.
1. Who were the people Castro counted on in his failed revolution of 1953? Do you think
these same people were responsible for his success in 1959?
2. Do the five revolutionary changes proposed by Castro seem all that revolutiona
Reaction Paper #1
1. At its simplest, morality calls for a judgement of good or bad. Does this matter
to the prince? Should it matter to the prince?
Good or bad judgement doesnt matter to the prince. I do believe that judgement
Reaction Paper #2
1. According to the Aztecs, why did the Spaniards attack their temple?
2. Why would the Spanish launch their attack first upon the unarmed performers in the
Aztec religious ritual rather than the poli
1. When was a Declaration of Principles issued? What event heralded it?
2. What are the three economic/political objectives Nkrumah suggests for a united Africa?
3. Does Nkrumah consider cultural and linguistic differences inevit
Reaction Paper On Liberty
1. Is Mills idea too simplified to work or is his idea of individual liberty something
transmittable to all eras of human existence?
2. How might working class conditions in Britain and the Industrial Re
1. How does Morel rebut Kipling?
2. What role does Morel assign to technology and the environment in the exploitation of
Africa by Western powers?
1. Edward Morel responds to the ideas presented by Kipling by saying that white people a
Reaction Paper Common Sense
1. What criticisms does Paine offer regarding the British Constitution?
2. How and why did Paines critique of the British government provide a basis for
3. What ideas, events, or
Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen
1. Is the Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen best understood as a product
of the Enlightenment, or of the particular conditions in France that led to the
1. Was President Muffley right to try to call back the bombers and to give the Soviets
information so that they could shoot down the bombers that could not be called back? Be
sure to cite the reasons he gave for th