Mass #: is the sum of its protons and neutrons
Isotopes: are atoms of an elements have different number of
neutrons and so they have a diff mass number. Most of them are
stable which means the nuclear structure doesn't change.
Radioactive isotopes: are un
. Are chemical compounds that speed up chemical reaction by
lowering the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur
. Most important ones in the body are enzymes
. Does not alter energy between the reactant or product but instead
Inferior: lower part of the body
Anterior: near to or at the front
Posterior: near to or the back of the bodyr
Medial: midline cfw_ think of the body being divided into 2
Lateral: far from midline [ away from the center
Intermediate: between 2 struc
o The inner laver is lined with epithelial tissues cfw_ this produces
uid and chemicals that are responsible for digestion in the
Organ Level :
. Organs are structures that are composed of 2 or more different
types of tissues
. That have specific
When a covalent bond forms,2 or more atoms share electrons
rather than gaining or loosing them
More sharing: stronger bond
Single covalent bond: when 2 atoms share one electron pair.
Double covalent bond: when 2 atoms share 2 pairs of el
o Transport 02 and C02, helps regulate acidbase balance of body
uids; air flowing out of lungs through vocal cords produces sounds
it Includes the lungs, pharynx, larynx :1 voice box, trachea and
i Achieves chemical and p
. Dilute, water solution that have chemicals that are found inside
cells and the are around them.
Intracellular fluids cfw_ICF
. Fluid inside the cells.
Extracellular uids (ECF)
. Fluid outside the cell. within blood its called blood plasma,
e spaces that enclose internal organs
. cranial cavitv: cranial bone form a hollow space of the head
. vertebraltspinalj: canal: formed bv vertebral Coium that has the
. Meninges: 3 laver of them, has shock absorbing fluid suno
up Is Bodys ability to detect and respond to changes
. For example when you turn your head toward a sound or when
temperature increases because of something is going on internally.
. Motion of the whole body including organs, single cells and ev
Principles of Biology IIB
For students with first names starting with the letters O to Z.
This assignment is graded out of 110 points, and is worth 15% of
your final mark. Please submit this assignment after you have
1. What does the consumer price index measure?
a. the cost of a market basket of consumer goods and services relative to its cost in some base
b. the change in the average price of a market basket of
Math 1001 Assignment #8 Due: Friday, Nov. 25, 2016 at the start of class
f ( x)
Find, if any:
f (x )
Critical numbers and critical points of
1. What would happen if you mixed concentrated solutions of sodium sulfide
and cadmium sulfate? Write the net ionic equation that applies.
2. Write the molecular and net ionic equations for phosphoric acid neutralizing
Which of the following are isotopes of the same element? 1631 X 1531 X 1632 X
Oxygen has three naturally occurring isotopes: 15.995 amu, 16.999 amu,
and 17.999 amu. Explain why oxygens mass on the periodic table
Assignment 1 Due Friday Sept. 16
Which of the following are chemical changes and which are physical changes:
a. Rusting metal
b. Melting ice
c. Exploding nitroglycerin
d. Hot metal warming up water
How would you separate the compone
1. A 0.2033 g sample of propenoic acid was burned in a combustion analyzer
and 0.102 g of water were produced along with 0.374 g of carbon dioxide.
What is the empirical formula of propenoic acid?
2. Potassium chlorate (KClO2) decom
1. Write the molecular and net ionic equations for the following reactions: a)
sulfuric acid with chromium and b) silver acetate and gold metal.
2. What is boiling point of an aqueous solution that freezes at -4.5 C?
3. A 200 g pi
1. Why is the electron affinity negative for halogens and positive for the noble
2. Write the electron configurations for the following species: Cr3+, Ag+, P3-
3. Why is the energy gap between the 3rd and 4th ionization energie
1. Write the Lewis symbols for the following species: Mg, Mg2+, N3- (remember to
include square brackets and charges for the ions).
2. Which of the following trends in lattice energy is primarily due to ionic charge
and why? a)
1. Based on the Lewis structures, predict which molecule has the shortest chlorine-oxygen
bond: HClO, HClO2, HClO3? Explain your answer.
2. Draw the Lewis structures for the following molecules and identify where the octet rul
Copy the assignment from this assignment drop box and paste it into a word
processor. Save the file in .doc or .rtf format. Type your answers under each
question. When you consider that it is complete, upload the typed assignment
using this d
connective tissue around one bundle of muscle fibers
sites delineating ends of sarcomeres
structural protein; anchors thick filament to M line and Z disc
site where support proteins hold thick filaments together
contractile protein found in
1. Fill in the words or phrases that best complete each sentence. Be as specific
a. Erythrocytes contain the enzyme carbonic anhydrase (CA), which catalyzes
the conversion of metabolically produced CO2 and water into carbonic aci
An Introduction to the Human Body
After completing this chapter, you should be able to
1. define the terms anatomy and physiology.
2. define the following levels of structural organization: chemical, cellular, tissue, organ, system an
4. List the skin glands and write details about their functions. What would be
the consequences if a persons skin glands stopped functioning?
The skin glands include the sebaceous, or oil, glands, sudoriferous, or sweat,
glands, and the ceruminous glands.
8.b From the movements listed in column B, list the scientific names of
the bones (learned in earlier chapters) that meet at each joint, i.e., where
each movement occurs.
Note: The spaces below require one or two bones of a certain region. Be
Match the items in column A with the descriptions in column B to
create the BEST MATCHES.
Items in column A can be used more than once when making matches to
column B. However, there is only one correct answer for each blank space.
1.2 Levels of Structural Organization and Body Systems
Describe the body's six levels of structural organization.
List the 11 systems of the human body, representative organs present in each, and their
10.Match the items in column A with descriptions in column B to create the
Items in column A can be used only once when making matches to column B.
There is only one correct answer for each blank space.