Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
1. In a given year, approximately _ percent of adults in the U.S. display serious psychological
disturbance requiring treatment .
Feedback A: The correct figure is 30%
Chapter: Chapter 04: Neuroscience
1. What technological advance allows scientists to study brain activity in healthy, awake
Feedback A: Correct!
Feedback B: Lesioning
Chapter: Chapter 12: Emotion
1. Approximately how many words in the English language refer to emotion?
Feedback A: Too few
Feedback B: Too few
Feedback C: Too few
Feedback D: Correct!
Section Ref: What is
Chapter: Chapter 09: Language and Thought
1. Which of the following areas refers to the meaning of words?
Feedback A: Sounds of language
Feedback B: Correct!
Feedback C: Smallest
1. Approximately how many people (children, adolescents, and adults) in the United States receive
therapy for psychological problems in the course of a year?
a) 2 million
b) 5 million
c) 10 million
d) 20 million
Feedback A: Approximately
Chapter: Chapter 13: Personality
1. Freud identified three central forces in personality development. Which force controls our
Feedback A: Controls basic drives
Feedback B: Corre
Chapter: Chapter 11: Motivation
1. Virgin female rats typically ignore unfamiliar rat pups, yet they engage in a rich repertoire of
maternal behaviors when their own pups are born. Which theory of motivation explains this
Chapter: Chapter 14: Social Psychology
1. Dan felt cheated by the used car salesperson who sold him a 1997 Honda Accord several years
ago. Ever since then, he assumes the worst when it comes to dealing with salespeople. Which
Chapter: Chapter 08: Memory
1.Which of the following memory processes is associated with retaining memories for future
Feedback A: This process involves tran
Chapter 10: Intelligence
1. Which of the following areas is not included in the definition of intelligence?
a) Ability to learn
b) Ability to communicate
c) Ability to meet the demands of the environment
d) Ability to understand and contro
Chapter: Chapter 07: Learning
1. Which of the following can be classified as learning?
a) Development of neural connections in the brain
b) Using crutches while your broken leg heals
c) Writing with your left hand while the right hand is i
Chapter: Chapter 06: Consciousness
1. Name 2 elements that are involved in conscious awareness.
Ans: Attention, monitoring, remembering, planning
Section Ref: When We Are Awake: Conscious Awareness
Learning Objective: Define different levels
Chapter: Chapter 05: Sensation and Perception
1. List the technical names for each of the five sensory systems.
Ans: Olfactory, gustatory, somatosensory, auditory, visual
Section Ref: Common Process of Sensation and Perception
Chapter: Chapter 03: Human Development
1. Which of the following is true about developmental psychology?
a) Developmental psychologists are only interested in similarities between groups of people.
b) Most developmental psychologists are o
Chapter: Chapter 02: Psychology As A Science
1. Which of the following is most debatable as a true science?
Feedback A: Less debatable than psychology
Feedback B: Less debatable than
Chapter: Chapter 01: Psychology: Yesterday and Today
1. By definition, what do psychologists study?
Ans: Behavior and mental processes
Section Ref: What is Psychology?
Learning Objective: Define psychology, and describe the goals and levels o