1. Caption via blog: Mapping key moments in protest music along a timeline from 19702010, one can easily notice a declining trend in its popularity
2. Chaloux, Keith. "Protest in Modern Music." A Modern Blog. Blogger, 13 Apr. 2011. Web.
17 Nov. 2
Applying Classical Structure or Arrangement
All that rhetoric can do is point out that given this subject or this purpose or this audience, this is what writers may have to do in some part of
the discourse, and this is how they might do what they have to
Prelim 2 Solutions
1. (3 points) How many solutions (x1 , x2 , x3 , x4 ) are there to the equation x1 + x2 + x3 + x4 = 35, where
x1 , x2 , x3 , x4 are natural numbers? (Just write down the combinatorial expression that describes
1. Produce a regular expression having the same language as the following automaton:
2. Rosen 13.4.12. You may produce an -NFA if you wish.
3. Rosen 13.4.24
Instructions: This is a 90 minute exam. Please answer the following questions in the provided booklet.
Ensure that your name and netid are on your exam booklet. You may answer the questions in any order, but
Homework 3 Solutions
Induction and number theory
1. Rosen 5.2, 4:
(a) P (18) says that you can form 18 cents of postage using 4- and 7-cent stamps. This is true: use two
7-cent stamps and a 4-cent stamp. Similarly P (19) is true
Graphs and Trees
Graphs and trees come up everywhere.
We can view the internet as a graph (in many ways)
Who points to whom
Niche graphs (Ecology):
who is connected to whom
Web search views web pages as a graph
The vertices are species
Combinatorics + Probability
For all these questions, explain how you got the answer that you got.
1. Rosen Section 6.2: 6, 10, 16 [Clearly explain what the pigeons and holes are in these three problems.]
2. Rosen Sect
Establish Novelty with Four Rhetorical Moves
Researchers use four moves to show how their work is important, relevant and new.
Explain why someone would care about this researchyour audience for this
1) Explain the
1st move should be broader