Poseidon and Triton
Gods, Goddesses and Creation Order Classics 1651
November 18th, 2013
The sea has always been a mysterious, unruly and tumultuous place. Ever since
humans developed the capacity to wonder, we have been fascinated and frustra
Monotheism vs. Polytheism
October 4th, 2013
In the beginning there were no people. Science today tells us as much. Before there was
science, there was religion and myth. People needed to have an explanation of how we all
1. Greek scientists as early as 320 BC realized the earth was a globe that orbits the sun.
2. Ancient Greek mythology saw the earth as a flat disk surrounded by water.
3. In the cosmology of ancient Greece, Chao
1. Which of these methods relates the miraculous nature of Athene's birth?
A) Sprung from the God Zeus' head.
B) Spewed forth from Gaea's Mount Olympus.
C) Born of mist on the sea.
D) Descended from the Moon.
E) Daughter of Goddess Hera and mort
1. When Christianity became the official religion of Roman in the 4th century AD
A) Greek myths were denounced.
B) Greek deities were thought to be demons.
C) Greek myths were thought to be opposed to Church teachings.
D) all of the above.
(See related pages)
Out of 44 questions, you answered 34
1. Ancient Greek myths see the cosmos as
A) dynamically changing.
D) ordered by the male principle of divinity.
E) all of the above.
2. Hesiod sees the role of women in the cosmic order as