QUESTIONS ON THE READINGS WEEK 2
1. What did Bacon mean by comparing the wisdom of the ancients to the boyhood of
2. How is it that the mechanical arts are superior to philosophy?
3. How did Bacon respond to the charge that the pursuit of
DESCARTES: QUESTIONS ON THE READINGS
Descartes 1: Discourse on Method, Parts I-II, and closing 4 paragraphs of Discourse, Part V
1. From what does the diversity of our opinions arise?
2. What are the sciences of mathematics and philosophy good for?
University of British Columbia-Okanagan Campus
Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences (Instructor: Dr. G.B. Grandi)
PHIL 314-Philosophy in the 17th Century (2015-Winter Term 1)
Final Exam-Study Questions
Answers that merely repeat word-by-word Lorne
QUESTIONS ON THE READINGS-WEEK 4
Reading Note: In HUMAN NATURE I.6, Hobbes identified the powers of the
body as the nutritive, generative, and "motive" powers. In HUMAN NATURE
I.7, the term "motive" again appears, but this time it is identified a
University of British Columbia Okanagan
Irving K. Barber School of Arts and Sciences
PHIL 314-Philosophy in the 17th Century (Instructor: Dr. G.B. Grandi)
2015-Winter Term 1
Bacon, Boyle, Galileo
1. Your phone is broken and yo