What are Nutrients?
Chemicals in foods that are critical to human growth and function
There are 6 groups of essential nutrients found in foods
Fats and Oils
Macronutrients: nutrients required in relatively la
Office: SUR 2956?
Rodrigo (teaching assistant)
Pre-read material Quiz during tutorial (first 5-10mins every week)
- Lowest quiz mark will be dropped in the
Vitamins: organic molecules that assist in regulating body processes
Minerals: inorganic substances required for body processes
Important minerals include Na, Ca, K, Mg
Minerals have many different functions
Why is nutrition important?
Nutrition contributes to wellness (absence of disease)
Wellness = Nutrition + Physical activity
Nutrition encompasses the following aspects of food:
Nutrition also s
1) Carbon Monoxide: Sources, Health Impact and Emission Controls.
- Combustion of fossil fuels and biomass
- Combustion of organic matter under conditions of restricted supply of oxygen
o Prevents complete oxidation to carbon dioxide
Lecture 3: Acidic Deposition
1) What is the definition of acid rain?
Acid Rain: Any type of precipitation that has an unusually high levels of acidity
2) Which are the major precursors of acid deposition? Describe the basic processes
Lecture 1: Understanding Pollution
1) What is the Biosphere 2 experiment? Provide basic objectives and the main
a) To test and see if humans can work in a closed biosphere and carry out
b) Explore possible use o
Lecture 2: Global Climate Change
1) Which are the general trends regarding Earth's average near-surface atmospheric
In the 20th century, temp rose 0.6 +/- 0.2 C
2) What do you know about the global glacial retreat (trends and consequences)?
1) Provide the reactions of ozones natural cycle?
a) breaking down oxygen
b) forming ozone
c) breaking down ozone
d) regenerating ozone
e) oxygen molecules are photolyzed, yielding 2 oxygen atoms
f) ozone + oxygen constantly interconverted as UV
1) Provide the basic morphological/physiological features of the diatoms and the
dinoflagellates. What is a red tide?
Diatoms: major group of algae, unicellular, can exist as filaments/ ribbons/ fans/
zigzags/ stellate colonies, they are produce
1) What causes the hypoxia problems in the Gulf of Mexico?
Hypoxia results from the stratification of marine waters due to Mississippi River
system fresh water inflow and the decomposition of organic matter stimulated by
Mississippi River nutrie