What is English?
1. Speakers partially understand one another,
2. Dialect continuums. Such as in Arabic language where A and B can undertand each other but A
and C cant but B and C can.
What are words?
1. Definitions that doesnt refer to spellin
Assignment 1: material done this lecture and last lecture.
Compare chief and chef.
Think about which kind of affix it is. And provide evidence for the decision.
4) Mini questions about the word goldendoodle. (Etymology) paragraph answers at most
1) Appendectomy [ap-pend]-[ec-tom-y] the y is making a the word a noun.
Apogee. Apo= is away from, gee=earth, so overall means away from the earth.
2) If a word ends with ate,
3) Eugenics: eu-gen-ic, an adjective and not used much witho
Why are English words the way they are, patterns and history, meanings by just looking at their form.
Chef vs chief
Cot vs caught
What is English and what are words?
Language is a cognitive phenomenon and is an