According to this video, friendships are based on selective association of which _ is a big factor.
According to this video, what contributes to the increase in friendships in the Middle Childhood
A teenagers brain is not as developed as an adults brain, which explains _.
a teenagers inability to hold a job for very long
the risky behaviors they engage in
why adults worry so much
the difference in head size
Personality tests that the public is exposed to, such as ones found on the Internet or in magazines, are
reliable and valid
for the most part, scientifically valid
helpful starting points for therapists when diagnosing a patient
Conforming to social norms occurs naturally, when _.
children grow up with controlling, small-minded parents
children are not taught to think for themselves
children are brought up in abusive homes
children grow up in
The four best-known personality theories are the psychodynamic, _, _,
and trait theories.
Sigmund Freud believed that personali
The _ greatly influences how the child behaves toward others.
number of siblings a child has
amount of time a parent spends at home with a child
amount of privacy a child is given
quality of the relationship that devel
How do we come to know the people in our lives?
through the opinions of others
observations and assumptions
_ are a mix of private thoughts and feelings and public acts.
Which of the following reflexes helps infants find their mothers nipple?
the swallowing reflex
the sucking reflex
the eating reflex
the rooting reflex
the rooting reflex
Correct. The Newborn.
According to t
Francine has a biology final on Friday and has not studied. She feels that biology is too hard for her to
understand and that the only way she will pass the test is with lots of prayer and a little luck. She keeps
her fingers crossed that the professor
What is the difference between actualizing and self-actualizing tendencies?
Actualizing tendency is a biological push toward fulfillment of innate potential,
while self-actualizing tendency is a personal drive to fulfill how one sees him
Which of the following represents what we know about children raised by homosexual parents?
They do not show any significant differences in adjustment or development
compared to children reared by traditional heterosexual couples.
A heuristic by which a judgment or decision is based on information that is most easily retrieved from
memory is _.
Correct. Decision Making.
A _ model is a
Which of the following sensory experiences would be below the average humans absolute sensory
the tick of a watch on a table next to you
a gram of salt dissolved in 300 liters of water
a drop of perfume diffused through a one-room
Because of the Gestalt principle of perceptual organization known as _, we are inclined to
overlook incompleteness in sensory information and to perceive a whole object even if none exists.
the Doppler e
An example of positive reinforcement would be _.
Correct answer: receiving a treat for good behavior
An example of negative punishment would be _.
receiving a treat for good behavior
Correct answer: being grounded
Which of the following increases
What has proven to be a more effective punishment than physical punishment?
Correct answer: Positive reinforcement of preferred behaviors
Which of the following has proven to stop bad behavior in the short term only?
Correct Answer: physical punishm
What did psychologist Albert Bandura discover through his research in the 1960s?
Correct answer: Children can learn aggression simply by observing adults.
Young children may learn aggressive behavior by
Correct answer: Watching cartoons
Chapter 5 Video Quiz
In the context of a classical conditioning experiment, when a dog salivates as he eats his food, the food is
considered the _.
Correct answer: unconditioned stimulus
In the context of a classical conditioning experiment, when a
Phineas Gage was a young railroad worker who survived the passing of a three-foot iron rod
through his skull. It entered below his left cheek and exited through the top of his skull. This
caused damage to the front of his brain or frontal lobes. The front
1. How soon after the last dose of heroin might a user begin experiencing the effects of
Within a few hours
2. The average person has _ dreams a night
Four or Five
3. The urge to sleep at night is triggered
1. Which type of sleep is characterized by slow, regular respiration and heart rate and the
general absence of vivid dreams?
2. The cluster of neurons in the hypothalamus that receives input from the retina regardin
1. What is the most common alteration of normal consciousness?
2. The information processing theory of dreaming can be described as:
memories of important information are strengthened by dreaming.
3. Most dreams
1. Who said the human mind at the moment of birth is a Tabula Rasa, a blank slate?
2. Psychologists rely on _ when seeking to answer a question.
The scientific method
3. The modern, formal definition of psycho
1. In sound, the primary determinant of pitch is _.
2. Which of the following structures is the first to be affected by sound waves
entering the ear?
3. The aspect of a color that corresponds to names
1. Nearly _ of doctoral psychologists are clinicians or counselors who treat
people experiencing mental, emotional, or adaptation problems.
2. What type of psychology is most likely to be desirable to human resourc
Name That Research Method
Here are the major research methods used by psychologists. Match each with one of
the following examples of research.
1. The _ is the part of the peripheral nervous system that
carries messages between the central nervous system and the internal organs.
Autonomic nervous system
2. Genetics is the study of:
How traits are transmitted f
1. _ are impairments of the ability to use or understand
2. The _ is located where the spinal cord enters the skull and
contains the medulla, the pons, and the cerebellum.
3. Which of the fol
1. The _ is the transparent part of the eye behind the pupil that focuses
light onto the retina.
2. A person who has very limited night vision likely has deficient or damaged
3. When you say that someon