Becoming Human First Million years of Archaeology
- 2.6 to 1.8 million years ago
o the first million years of human technology
o flakes and cores oldowan industry
o followed by handaxes the Acheulean industry
- First Oldowan sites
o 8 potential tool maker
Environmental Effects on Spatial Patterning
Interpret the past?
- spatial patterning
o where do sites form in mobile societies?
o What did they eat and how did they get it?
- Social organization
o Relationships among and within groups
- Affects of
Human Evolution and Behavior
- when does human culture begin?
- When do humans become cosmopolitan?
o escape original environment
- when does modern human behavior develop?
o Imagine communites
- To reconstruct ancient behaviors need a mod
Hunter Gatherer Life History
o 3 to 4 years
o similar to great apes
o almost total dependence on maternal nutrition
breast milk and no weaning foods
o develop characteristics
dental, cognitive, sensorymotor, physiology
Hunter/Gatherer Models for Ancient Human Lifeways
- for greater than 99 percent of the archaeological past humans were huntergatherers
- reliance on trade with or service to agricultural societies
- impact of capitalism/colonialism
- human impact on envir
Stone Flakes and Flake Sites
Making a Stone Flake
- finegrained stone will dissipate force in the shape of a cone
- tilt the blow and the stone
o control of force
- need to propogate a crack to break off a flake
- want something without inherent fracture