Biol-1107 Activity #1 Molecules, Bonds, and Interactions
1. The figure at the right shows the
structural diagram of an important
biological molecule. 0
a. Fill in the missing
atoms on the figure.
\ o H
b. What is the molecular |
formula for this
Chemistry Lecture: Energy Basics
Basic Energy Principles & Definitions
State Functions & Changes of State
The First Law of Thermodynamics
Enthalphy Changes and Reactions
Chemistry Lecture (September 22, 2015)
Combustion Analysis: burn known amount and analyze carbon
Which empirical formula corresponds to a molecule that has the
formula weight 88?
What is the percent composition of hydrogen in C4H4
Activity #3 Carbon
U: P DH
[ HD cfw_1
D SH Y
| H2 | H2
HZEK x cfw_CH ,CR ,CHZ
CH CH CH CH
NH2 CH3 DH HCQ:
1) The figures above illustrate various organic molecules.
a) Circle and label the locations of the ma
Bi011107 Activity #6 Water, pH, and buffers
1) You have a solution with a pH of 6.
a) What are the [H1 and [OH'] concentrations of the solution?
b) Without a calculator, predictthe pH of the solution if the [H+] goes
0 up 10 fold? 0 down 10 fold?
0 up 100
1) At the left is an ingredient list from a
commonly bought food item.
a) Look up each of the following potentially
unfamiliar ingredients and their functions.
0 Soy Lecithin
Activity #7Macromolecules: Nutrition
Biol-1107 Activity #2 Water and Solutions
1) Water is an unusual molecule, H\ /H
a) Draw a diagram showing how water molecules are organized in the following.
Ic_e Liquid Water Water vapor
b) How does evaporation of water help cool organisms?
2) Both 02
Bi011107 Activity #11 Cells
1) You discover a new cell. Describe at least three characteristics that would help you to
determine if this cell is a prokaryote or a eukaryote.
2) The "Life of a Cell" animation posted on eLC shows many of the structures and
Bi011107 Activity #10 Endomembrane systems
1) Draw a diagram illustrating the steps used to produce an extra-cellular protein in eukaryotes.
a) Include the following:
i) The name of the organelles that take part in each step.
ii) A description of that org
Bi011107 Activity #4 Organic Macromolecules: Carbs and Lipids
CHZOH -C O OH
1) The two molecules at the H 0 H CH? H OHCHZOH OH
right have the same OH H H (:10 O 0
chemical formula HCHZOH OH OH
(C12H22011) and the same
Bi011107 Activity #5 Macromolecules: Proteins and Nucleic Acids
A 3 '
The diagram at the right shows two amino acids (A and B). TH O\C<O
a) To what category does amino A" acid belong? /H\
H20 CH3 I
b) Circle the functional groups of t
Quantum Numbers: Orbitals
Which orbital has the quantum numbers:
M1 =1+ , l=+1, n=4
F. None of these
Idea: Electron Quantum Numbers
2. What are acceptable quantum numbers (n,l,m respectively) for a 4d