S PC M4900
Pick Theory or concept from book
Apply to Facebook
Propose FB I I
Form a team of 5-6 students by March 22
(16 teams of 5, 3 teams of 6)
By team (no individual)
1. One-page project proposal (March 24)
Social Support Online
In the context of relationship?
Created and sustained through interaction?
Conveyed through messages?
YES means there is a possibili ty that we can have social support online
Why do people for onli
Design new cell phone
Target college students
Consider: interface and design
Functions to add and drop
Types of communication to facilitate and reduce
Draw a picture of your phone
Types and nature of communication to facilitate and reduce
10% has Internet Addiction (Katie Couric, 2007- CBS News)
Superhacker Kevin M i tnick, 1989
Sentenced to six months rehabili tation for
hacking gives a sense of self-esteem he does
Through repeated exposure, timing persists and might eventually develop as
Example: aggressive times recur and it becomes a permanent part of
Not all scholars agree with that
By playing viral video games beco
Digital D ivide
Access usage engagement Outcome
Unequal access to the internet
Divided by education, income, ethnicity, geography, etc.
Cyberdemocracy / digital democracy
Use of electronic communications technologies (e.
The use of any electronic technology in any aspect of commercial activity
i.e., the use of a set of technologies, applications, and business processes that
l ink businesses, consumers, and community; for buying, s
P r ivacy and Surveillance: Ethics and Regulation
We lose our privacy when
Entering sweepstakes or competitions in order to have a chance of winning a
Giving personal information o potential employees
Using the internet
Leaves t rai
SPCM 4900: Midterm-exam Study Guide
The midterm exam is worth a total of 100 points:
- Tentative: 30 multiple choice questions (x 3 pts) & 2 out of 4 short essay questions (x 5 pts)
Nature of communication (i.e., dynamic, transactional, multifunctional, m
January 27. 2011
Important qualities of the internet
- Newhagen & Rafaeli (1996). Why should communication researchers study the Internet?
- Walther, Gay, & Hancock (2005). How communication and technology researchers study
the Internet? (Readin
February 1. 2011
1. Review: What is CMC?
a. Definition of CMC
b. Digi-tech and Internet as Revolutionary tech
c. History of computers and the Internet
d. Actual Internet use among Americans
e. Research trends
Onset of new tech causes
- An associ
February 3, 2009
Cops Use of GPS
The development of GPS has changed the concept of privacy: e.g., it is now considered to be disclosed to cops
- Technological determinism
It is our willingness to change the concept of
February 8, 2011
Identity can be represented by physical body in FtF
A traditional view on identity suggests that each individual has one true, fixed, and stable identity
The cartoon saying on the Internet, nobody knows youre a dog supports the
February 10, 2011
Internet & Learning about Others
- Have you ever googled a friend or a prospective date?
- Facebook stalking
- What was your reason and what did you find out about the person?
- Did you learn anything you hadnt already known?
Second Life: a technology that allows you to create a virtual environment in which:
- The user interacts with a computer-simulated environment, whether that environment is a
simulation of the real world or an imaginary world
- The use man
1. Social Penetration Model: opinion Model
- Self-disclosure is the conduit for developing relationship closeness
- Self disclosure
- - revealing personal or private information
- Includes both breadth and depth
The process by which people create and send signals or messages that are received, interpreted, and
responded to by other people.
Intimacy (verbally): I love you
Nonverbally: kiss, hug, holding hands
Applied to CMC: online dating, FB, text