JRLC 5490 TEST 2 STUDY GUIDE (11-20)
11. What were the HearstPulitzer wars, and how did they impact journalism?
a. Hearst came from San Francisco to NY, buys NY Journal (which is largest
competitor with Pulitzers NY World)
b. Hearst begins to raid the tal
JRLC 5490 TEST 2 STUDY GUIDE (1-10)
1. What was significant about the Uneeda Biscuit ad campaign?
a. first ad campaign focusing on a specific brand (1899); said they were the best
b. put biscuits in individual airtight packages for the first time; ran in
JRLC 5490 TEST 2 STUDY GUIDE (21-30)
21. Ed Bernays, known as the father of public relations, learned his trade in World War I,
and then became an adviser to many corporations. What campaign did he use to help ease
the taboo against women smoking in publi
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (51-56)
51. In his conclusion to The Idea of a Free Press, David Copeland quotes a passage
from a New York paper that encapsulates the awareness in 18th century America about
the importance of a free press. What were the main
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (41-50)
41. What (who) were the fire eaters? (Not looking for specific names.)
-group of extremist pro-slavery politicians from the South who urged the separation of
southern states into a new nation; southern editors who supp
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (31-40)
31. What was significant about the newspaper Freedoms Journal? How about the Cherokee
-Freedoms Journal (1827) first newspaper to be published by African Americans (Rev.
Samuel Cornish and John Russworm), when
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (21-30)
21. What important safeguards for journalists came out of the unfortunate Alien and Sedition
-Sedition Act: any treasonable activity, including the publication of false or malicious
writing, was a high misdemeano
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (11-20)
11. Ben Franklin is known for contributing what to American journalism?
-Ben changed Pennsylvania Gazette from dull to exciting
-founded one of the first magazines in 1741 (General Magazine) within days of
JRLC 5490 TEST 1 STUDY GUIDE (1-10)
1. What kinds of things did the Romans read about in the Acta Diurna (the first known
newspaper)? Since no copies exist for us to study, how do we know so much about its
-chronicled big and small news stories (
JRLC 5490 TEST 3 STUDY GUIDE (21-33)
21. How did satellites revolutionize television?
a. Jared Levin creates satellite TV catches attention of Ted Turner in 1963; Turner
borrowed money and invested in satellite TV (took a risk)
b. Turner invested in Atlan
JRLC 5490 TEST 3 STUDY GUIDE (11-20)
11. How did Joseph McCarthy exploit the press?
a. Nationally prominent political figure hunted communists in the White House
did it for political fame/notoriety; tried to convince the public that democrats were
JRLC 5490 TEST 3 STUDY GUIDE (1-10)
1. What made Ernie Pyles World War II stories special?
a. Wrote about the war through the eyes of the soldiers; famous correspondent;
wrote from the front lines; was killed (by a sniper) in WW2 along with 37 other
JRLC 5490 TEST 2 STUDY GUIDE (31-39)
31. W.E.B. Dubois, famous editor of the magazine The Crisis, was invited to Washington
along with more than 30 other AfricanAmerican editors at the outbreak of World
War I. Why? What was the result of that meeting?