1. Which of the following statements about amino acids is/are true?Amino acids
contain a central -carbon.
Amino acids are dipolar ions, or zwitterions.
All amino acids, except glycine, contain side chains.
All of the above.
2. A & B: Amino acids conta
1. Biomolecules can be divided into four different classes. Which of the following is
not a major class of biomolecule?lipids
2. fatty acids
3. When a cell duplicates, DNA is copied and identical genomes ar
Due on Wed, 9/03/14, at the beginning of class.
1. Draw the following amino acids at the pH indicated.
(a) Glutamic acid at pH 6.0
(b) Lysine at pH 10.5
2. Match the structure (A-F) with the best description. You may not ne
Nucleic Acids, Chapter 33/41
This homework is due Thurs 11/19. You will hand this in before class to obtain bonus points.
1. What is the central dogma of molecular biology (including the exceptions)?
The central dogma of mo
Carbohydrate and Intro to metabolism, Chapter 10/15
Work on outside of class and hand in at beginning of class Tuesday 9/29. Can work in groups,
but each person must hand in for credit (bonus points).
Be prepared to discuss these questions during class an
Proteins contain which 4 elements?
C, O, H, N
two examples of transport & storage proteins
myoglobin and hemoglobin
Two proteins that are involved in coordinated motion
myosin and actin (muscle movement)
One protein involved in mechanical support
1. What are the 5 different models used to represent protein polymers?
Ball and Stick
3. What does heteopolymer mean?
4. Containing different amino acids
5. Who first described the composition of proteins?
1. What maintains the secondary structure of a protein?peptide bonds
2. hydrogen bonds
3. The relationship between the amino acid sequence of a protein and its
conformation was shown in the c
2. Study of large sets of proteins
3. The two classes of proteins
1. fibrous proteins2. globular proteins
4. Fibrous proteins
5. water insoluble, tough, structural, provide mechanical support
6. Two examples of fibrous proteins
Gibb's Free Energy Equation
G=H - TS
G=G + RTln[B]/[A]
What does a high Keq signify?
-G, going towards products
n=number of electronsE'o=G from half reaction
F= 23,060 cal/v
Reasons For High G'
1. Purine Bases
5. Structural Features of DNA
1. Stabalizing Forces -> Hydrophibic ints (like protein folding) ->HBonding Hold 2 chains together -> Watson and Crick base pairing -> Van der Waals
animate world obeys different chemical laws than inanimate world
produced the organic compound urea form inorganic substance
Disproved spontaneous generation (living organisms arise from living organisms)
1. Chapter 2
2. Which of the following is dependent upon Brownian motion?signal molecules
diffusing from site of origin to site of effect
an enzyme finding a substrate
exchange of metabolites
All of the above.
3. All of the above.
4. Within the helica
Come to all lectures.
Read the assigned chapters before lecture! You are
responsible for learning the corresponding textbook material
on the topics covered in class.
Do all the assignments.
Come to class on time. I will make important