2. According to the text, _ refers to those distinctive qualities that characterize
an individual, that are relatively stable over time and across situations, that have some
internal organization to them, and that influence how the individual be
1. What is true with regard to Bronfenbrenners social ecological model?
- The effects of proximal factors on a relationship are affected by distal factors.
2. Distal is to _ as proximal is to _.
- quality of the school system; household income
#2. Do couples who cohabit before marriage have less conflict as newlyweds than
couples who do not cohabit before marriage? This is an example of a(n)
#3. Daniella wants to know how marital satisfaction changes f
2. Which of the following statements about couples seeking therapy is FALSE?
- Most often, couples seek help from professionals who specialize in therapy for couples.
3. According to couple therapists (summarized in the text), _ is one of the
CHFD 3930 NOTES pt 11
CHFD 3930 NOTES pt 7
CHFD 3930 CHAPTER 11-STRESS & SOCIAL SUPPORT: INTIMATE RELATIONSHIPS IN CONTEXT Context- encompasses everything that affects relationships outside of the partners and interactions between them.(physical environmentclimate, architecture, socioeconomic cond
CHFD 3930 Women understand intimacy to mean feeling and expressing appreciation & enjoyment Young women are more likely to equate intimacy with expressions of appreciation whereas young men are more likely to associate intimacy with sex Men are younger th
CHFD 3930 CHAPTER 5-Attraction & Male Selection Self-proclaimed Millionaire Matchmaker Friendships and intimate relationships, unlike familial relationships, are relationships that we choose Attractionprocess of evaluating another individual positively Se
Chfd 3930 When i t comes to social behaviors, males and females differ more in degree t han in kind Males & females are more similar than dissimilar Males & females faced many similar adaptive problems in the past, and consequently they now share many sim
C HFD 3930 Building separate spheres is difficult Relationships=>rewarding Long-distance relationship=>reclassified When you move, you establish a new social circle
Stresses and Strains in relationships Children Long distance relationship Money Sex Famili
#10. Which of the following is NOT a defining element of an intimate relationship?
- Positive feelings toward the partner
#11. Your friend Yayoi recently started dating someone new. Which of the following is
NOT one of the features you would loo
3. Women and men possess different chromosomes, sex hormones, and genitalia. These
- Primary Sex Characteristics
4. Facial hair, soft skin, and deep voices are all examples of :
- Secondary sec characteristics
10. According to th
1. The process of thinking someone would be desirable as a potential intimate partner is
- Sexual attraction
4. Research shows that the more positive traits a person has, the more attractive that
6. Using the phantom o
1. The intimacy process model is important because it draws attention to:
- how partner responses to disclosures determine whether the experience is rewarding or
2. According to the Intimacy process model:
- motives, needs, goals, and fears
1. According to Kurt Lewin, A definition of conflict begins with the recognition that
participants in social interaction have _.
3. Relationship researchers recognize that disagreements between partners in intimate
relationships are inev
6. Rusbult and colleagues described four different patterns of beliefs created by
combining ideas about the importance of passionate love with ideas about the capacity
for relationships to grow and change over time. These four patterns are:
2. Hierarchical knowledge structures that include beliefs about relationships CANNOT
- individuals have a positive bias about their partners attributes.
3. In terms of cognitive processing in relationships, what is a fatal attracti