HUEC 2010 Nutrition in Health
Section 002 Syllabus Spring 2011
Instructor: Michael Keenan
Office Hours: by appointment.
Office: 209 Knapp Hall
Class time and Classroom: 4:40-6:00 TTh 10 Lockett Hall
-An enzyme found primarily in the liver and stomach that helps break down
alcohol into acetaldehyde, which is then converted to acetyl-CoA.
-When the quantity of alcohol consumed exceeds an individual's t
aldosterone A hormone that increases sodium reabsorption by the kidney and
therefore enhances water retention.
angiotensinII A compound that causes blood vessel walls to constrict and
stimulates the release of the hormone aldosterone.
Chapter 7 Questions
1. What changes in the U.S. environment and lifestyle have contributed to
the obesity epidemic?
a. The food source has become more easily accessible as well as having
a surplus of it. Americans are starting to eat more and
1. What is a vitamin?
a. An organic compound that is essential to our diets in small amounts
to promote and regulate processes necessary for growth,
reproduction, and maintenance of health
2. List four factors that affect how much o
1. Beans, rice, lentil, vegetables
2. Building blocks for protein
3. Proteins are made up of a carbon atom bonded to a hydrogen atom and an amino acid
chain. A different amino acid chain does a different job.
4. Something that the b
Chapter 5 Participation points
1. How have the sources of fat in the American diet changed over the past 40 years?
- Our sources of fat are hidden in foods like pizza, pasta dishes, and fried potatoes. Changing the
sources of fat doesnt prote
1. Vitamin A: egg yolk and dairy products
Provitamin A: carrots and red peppers
2. Retinal form of vitamin A combines with the protein opsin to form visual pigment, rhodopsin
3. Retinoic acid is needed for gene expression, when expr
Participation Questions: Chapter 4
1. Refining carbohydrates separates the carbohydrates from their fiber and
some of their vitamins and minerals. What does this mean in terms of
That during the refining process the nutrients