Quiz 5 Notes Christianity
Origins of Christianity
a. Emic Account
i. Jesus of Nazartha taught for 3 years
1. Everyone he taught agreed with what he taught and believed it.
(not true in scholarly account)
ii. Early church started after his 3 years of te
I. Review: Modern Judaisms!
A. Orthodox nothing can be changed!
C. Reform most popular!
Emerges in the U.S. in the early 20th century!
Key Word: Compromise!
Some things from the Torah must be kept and unchanged, but other
Judaism 10/14 & 10/17!
The Three Abrahamic Traditions!
Judaism, Christianity, and Islam!
Often called the Western Religions, but these religions are found worldwide!
A. Historically Related!
These 3 religions have a lot of overlap historical ove
3 big ideas from guest speaker:!
1. Compassion compassion can free you from the worlds suffering!
2. Emptiness You will be flooded with compassion when you realize the nature of emptiness
within us all!
3. Suffering suffering is innat
A. Origins of Islam!
B. Life of the Prophet!
II. Historical Development!
There are 2 ideologies regarding choosing the proper islamic leader; this causes the
split between Sunni and Shia!
1. Sunni The majority of Muslims
Chinese and Japanese Religions 10/5/16!
Religion in China is highly regulated!
- There is a list of government approved religions that people are allowed to practice!
- * reading question People do different things with Daoist ideas. In class we focus
Islam Nov 30!
Review 5 Pillars!
Human beings aren't born inherently sinful (original sin)!
They're born immature!
All 5 pillars are considered obligatory!
A. Shahadah declaration of faith!
B. Salat daily prayer!
The most commonly known/observed
Chinese Religion 10/3!
I. Story of Gorge of Lu!
- There is a tall Gorge in Lu, China where there is an extremely high waterfall. The waterfall
creates a strong rip tide in the pool the bottom.!
- Confucius and some of his disciples see an old man strugg
I. Origins of Christianity
A. Emic Perspective
- Christianity begins with Jesus of Nazareth
- People agree for many centuries about what Ch
- Scholars were in agreement that the first 4 centl
this changed in 1945
- 1-4th centuries = ear
Prothero says Islam has the greatest influence across the world.
Although he is not the most important prophet, Jesus was given more divine grace
the any other prophet in the Islamic faith.
I. Origins of Islam
A. Emic View
o Who was the f
The Emergence of Roman Catholic Christianity: 4th century
A. Emp. Constantine (312 CE- 325 CE)
B. Gradual Christianization
C. Emp. Theodosius- 385 CE
A. Role of the church
a. God has created the Church gods divinely intermedi
Review modern Judaism
Orthopraxy- in Judaism what really matter is what you do. More emphasis on this
Orthodoxy beliefs or opinions what matter is what you believe.
1. The largest and most Americans a
o 5 Theories of Religion:
1. Karl Marx:
o German philosopher
o Focused on economics
o Definition of religion: religion is the opiate of the masses
Its a pain killer to keep your mouth shut and obey.
Very cynical th
christianlty Study Guide
What mid-20th camary archaeological fnd dianged the way i1 which scholars understand
ttings were found there? How does contemporary scholarly theory (which
Historical Origins of Judaism
8/22/16 10:50 AM
Before 70 CE
o Sadducees (do not survive as a form of Judaism because they are about
the temple and there is no temple after romans)
o Pharisees (they do survive as a form of Judaism) they dominate the
Religion in Japan 10/10/16!
Key Ideas / Practices!
Different Forms of Shinto:!
1. Shrine Shinto The most common form of Shinto, practiced by ordinary people!
The Kami are always associated with na
Religion in China 9/28!
Common Theme everything has a concrete orientation!
I. Religion in China!
A. Personal Identity!
- In Chinese culture, personal identity is constructed in a more concrete way (europeans
tend to identify themselves with abstrac
Quiz 5: Five Pillars
I. Review: Five Pillars
Reminders human beings think are to be needed. Human beings are not
born inherently sinful. They are all obligatory; Not of choice.
Human beings are born immature.
Fasting for a month reminds you of
Chinese Religion 9/30!
A. Kung Fu-tzu (Confucius)!
- Confucian ideals have profoundly shaped all Asian cultures!
- He was a cultural conservative!
1. Born 551 BCE!
2. Late Chou Dynasty 500 years before his birth the Chou Dy
R E L 1 0 0 0 , I n t r o d u c ti o n , a n d H i n d u i s m , P a g e | 1
Some Key Theories of Religion (review/continued)
a. What do we mean by religion?
i. Karl Marx
ii. Sigmund Freud
iii. Abraham Maslow
iv. William James
v. Paul Tillich
vi. Bob O
QuranProminentthemes Allahappearsover2500times o Transcendent,allpowerfulcreator,judge,merciful o Godsnatureisrevealedincreation,Godswillinrevelation,andGods actionsinhistory. o GodisOne,99namesofattributes TawhidonenessofGodunityofreal