Week Four: October 22 26
Defining Zygote Polarity
- The first polar body forms where this happens
is the animal pole.
- 180 opposite of this is the vegetal pole
Activation of Protein Synthesis
- Recall the Na:H antiport: as one sodium comes in, one hydrog
Final Exam Second Section
Organogenesis 1 mature ovum for each primary oocyte; growth and differentiation before meiosis
o In spermatogenesis 1 primary spermatocyte = 4 sperm; growth before, differentiation after
Final Exam First Section
Zygote fertilized egg; union of egg and sperm to form a diploid cell
Development morphological, biochemical, and physiological differentiation of an individual;
production of diverse cell types, reproduction
Week Three: November 19-21
- As the neural tube develops, it will make several subdivisions in a cephalic-decaudal
fashion the first differentiation occurs at the head region and the last differentiation
occurs at the tail.
Week Four: November 26-30
What are the guidance patterns?
NCC selectively labeled with antibody to HNK1
- HNK1 an NCC marker protein, make the orange cells
- NCCs really do only show up in the anterior portion of
- The do not go into the p
Week Five: December 3-5
Formation of the vertebrate heart
- Heart is the first functional organ in the embryo
- Formed by the hypomere mesoderm (lateral plate mesoderm) specifically the splancnic
- Presumptive primordia exist as a pair of tissues
Cell Sorting and Reaggregations
Dissociation of sponges and reaggregations
Differing sponge species (species specificity)
Reaggregations of sea urchin embryos
Specific cell sorting
Differential Cell Affinities
Townes and Holtfreter (19
Interactions with neighboring cells
interactions restrict fate
regulative development 4 division blastomere
separated and still grew in an independent
Characteristic of vertebrates
Cleavages produce no invariant fat
Week One: November 17 November 21
Cleavage and Gastrulation Avian embryos
- Meroblastic dicoidal cleavage pattern Cleavage is initially incomplete. The egg is a very large,
yolky egg that displaces to one side of the cytoplasm. It makes a cytoplasmic disc
Generalized life cycle (adapted to amphibians)
Although, this is for amphibians, it fits perfect for mammals.
Premises for basic questions in
Role of the nucleus in controlling morphogenesis
What is this class about?
THE ISSUE: ABOUT BECOMING NOT BEING
Initiation and construction of an organism (not maintenance)
Who was the first recorded embryologist?
Name one contemporary Developmental
Biologist and what they are famous for.
What are emb