CHP 25 and 26 ENVIRONMENTAL and APPLIED MICRO
1. Match microorganisms to their corresponding ecological category
a. PRODUCER: photosynthetic cyanobacteria, chemoautotrophic bacteria
b. CONSUMER: heterotrophic bacteria, virus, parasitic amoeba, fungi
1. Soil microorganisms involved in the phosphorus cycle are important in which of
the following ways?
a. D) A and B
2. All of the following are true about soil microorganisms EXCEPT
a. A) They never affect or change the physical characteristics of their s
1. Why UV light might be expected to be less effective in killing bacteria?
a. A) UV light cannot penetrate glass, cloth, paper, or most materials under
which microbes might be located
2. Gamma rays and X-rays are effective in killing microorganisms b/c:
1. Active antimicrobial ingredient in bleach
a. C) Hypochlorite
2. Heat-sensitive materials (rubber and plastic) and bulky materials (mattresses) can
be sterilized using
a. D) Gaseous ethylene oxide
3. Process of autoclaving it is the increased temperatur
1. Antibiotic that contains a beta-lactam ring in its structure:
a. D) Penicillin
2. Cephalosporins resemble which antibiotic in their mode of action and structure?
a. A) Penicillin
3. NOT a property of an antimicrobial agent?
a. C) Must be effective agai
1. Target for quinolones:
a. B) DNA replication
2. Antimetabolites that block folic acid synthesis:
a. D) Sulfonamides
3. Antimetabolite that is effective against the Myocobacterium that causes TB:
a. B) Isoniazid
4. Drug for treating systemic fungal infe