Class 8: Integration Interrupted
Sample research questions: How do returning students experiences compare to traditional
students? Do working-class students have harder time adjusting to school than upper-class
students? Do student
Sociology of Education
Class 2: Economic Class Shapes
Why do we go to school?
prepare for workforce
passing on values and beliefs
engine for socioeconomic mobility
How do we thi
Sociology of Education
Class 5: Privilege
- middle class and working class/poor parents have different childbearing practices
- these practices lead to developing certain (different) skills
o entitled learn how to navigate adult
Class 4: Unequal Childhoods
What is the objective?
- to understand how society works
- to explain something not well understood
- and to develop explanations in response to questions
What is Lareaus research question?
Class 3: Bourdieu and Cultural Capital
- both Lareau and Khan draw from
We are reading qualitative research books; how can we trust qualitative research?
Class as main social division in society; we are a class society
Class 6: Privilege with guest lecture by Shamus Khan
Privilege Shamus Khan
- students have concrete advantages at St. Pauls
- new elites believe they got where they got from their own hard work and their experience
- everyone there is the
Class 7: Tracking and the Social Construction of Ability
What is tracking? How did it emerge?
Ideological battles over intelligence, merit, and ability
- we tend to think of these as objective, measurable things that exist beyond politics
- Yet ho
Class 12: Change at the Big Three and Race-Based Affirmative Action
October 17, 2013
The Big Three moving toward more inclusion
- Yale and Harvard less than 1% black
- Princeton had one black student
- Quotas for Jewish students still in place
Class 11: The History of Admission & Exclusion at the Big Three
We take certain aspects of admissions for granted, i.e. personality, athletic abilities, etc
How did we get here (to this uniquely American admissions system)?
History of Admissions
Class 9: Midterm Review
Racial achievement gap white/Asians tend to score better on tests than black/Latinos
Other achievement gaps: gender, income
Whos to blame for failure in achievement?
- Failure in school or failure in family
SOCIOLOGY OF EDUCATION
Course No: SOCIUN3225-01-2017-1
Spring 2017, MW 4:10-5:25 pm
Instructor: Eleni Natsiopoulou
Email: [email protected]
Office hours: Monday, 5:30-6:30 pm
The question of education and schooling has always been th