The Relational Model
TMC2034 Database Concept and Design
In this chapter, students will learn about the fundamental
of a relational model
TMF2034 Database Concept and Design
Prepared by Bong Chih How
In this chapter, you will learn:
Data vs information
What a database is?
Database Management System
File Systems and Dat
Tutorial 6, 2015/16-2
1. Using the descriptions of the attributes given in the figure above, convert the ERD shown in above
into a dependency diagram that is in at least 3NF.
2. Using the descriptions of the attributes given in the figure above, convert t
Tutorial 2, 2016/17-1
1. Explain sparse data.
2. What is NOSQL? How does it different from relational model?
3. What is data independency? Why it is important in a database?
4. Please discuss why data modeling is important? What is its function?
Tutorial 5, 2015/16-2
1. Create an ERD based on the Crows Foot notation, using the following requirements:
An INVOICE is written by a SALESREP. Each sales representative can write many invoices, but
each invoice is written by a single sales representativ
Tutorial 7, 2015/16-2
1. Using the STUDENT table structure shown above, do the following:
a) Write the relational schema and draw its dependency diagram. Identify all dependencies,
including all transitive dependencies.
b) Write the relational schema and
Tutorial 3, 2015/16-2
1. For each table above, identify the primary key and the foreign key(s). If a table does not have a
foreign key, write None.
2. Do the tables exhibit entity integrity? Answer yes or no, and then explain your answer.
3. Do the tables
Tutorial 4, 2015/16-2
1. Use the following business rules to create a Crows Foot ERD. Write all appropriate connectivities and
cardinalities in the ERD.
A department employs many employees, but each employee is employed by only one
Tutorial 1, 2015/16-2
1. Give examples, why database design is important.
2. Tell me the differences between database and DBMS.
3. Is MS Excel a spreadsheet?
4. Do you know what is MS Access?
5. What common problem does a collection of spreadsheets create
TMC1234 Operating System
Tutorial 4&5: Processor Management (Part 1&2)
1. What information about a process needs to be saved, changed or updated when context
switching takes place?
2. Explain the differences in the degree to which the following scheduling