Data on the average annual precipitation (y), altitude (x1), latitude (x2), and distance from
the coast (x3) for a particular state were collected for 10 meteorological stations. The
observations are listed in the table below. Consider the first-order
Read the Case: Statistics in Action: Bid-Rigging in the Highway Construction Industry, in
Chapter 11 of your textbook, and answer the following questions. The data set, FLAG, for the
case study is available in the publishers website, so you dont need to e
Researchers developed a safety performance function (SPF), which estimates the
probability of occurrence of a crash for a given segment of roadway. Using data on over 100
segments of roadway, they fit the model E(y) = + + , where y = number of crashes
1. An association was formed by students to protest labor exploitation in the apparel industry.
There were 18 student sit-ins for a sweet-free campus organized at several universities. Data
were collected for the duration (in days) of each sit-in, as well
Your Instructor will specify for you the dependent variable and the independent variables in your
Case and data. Using MINITAB perform the regression and correlation analysis for the data by
answering the following.
1. Generate a scatterplot for the speci
Read the Case: Statistics In Action: Legal AdvertisingDoes It Pay?, and answer the following
questions. (The case is included in your textbook, Chapter 10.) The data set for the case study is
LEGALADV, and it is available in your textbook resources, so yo
Your Instructor will provide you with four manager speculations, a.-d., in the Doc Sharing file.
1. Using the sample data, perform the hypothesis test for each of the above situations in
order to see if there is evidence to support your managers belief in
1. A study of n = 90,000 first-time candidates for an exam found that the number of semester
hours of college credit taken by the sampled candidates is summarized by x = 145.72 and s =
18.53. A professor claims that the true mean number of semester hours
1. A MINITAB printout relating the size of the diamond (number of carats) to the asking price
(dollars) for 308 diamonds is shown below. Complete parts a through e.
2. The average driving distance (yards) and driving accuracy (percent of drives that land
Graph the relative frequency histogram for the 300 measurements summarized in the
relative frequency table to the right.
2. Would you expect the data sets that follow to possess relative frequency distributions that
are symmetric, skewed to the right,
Health Care workers who use latex gloves with glove powder on a daily basis are
particularly susceptible to developing a latex allergy. Each in a sample of 43 hospital employees
who were diagnosed with a latex allergy based on a skin-prick test reporte
1. A random samples of 1020 satellite radio subscribers were asked, Do you have a satellite
radio receiver in your car? The survey found that 102 subscribers did, in fact, have a satellite
receiver in their car.
Each child in a sample of 64 low-income
1. A group of professors investigated first-year college students knowledge of astronomy.
One concept of interest was the Big Bang Theory of the creation of the universe. In a sample 0f
141 freshman students, 35 believed that the Big Bang Theory accuratel
1. The mean gas mileage for a hybrid car is 56 miles per gallon. Suppose that the gasoline
mileage is approximately normally distributed with a standard deviation of 3.3 miles per gallon.
2. The ages of a group of 50 women are approximately normally distr
1. The table to the right gives a breakdown of 2,149 civil cases that were appealed. The
outcome of the appeal, as well as the type of trial (judge or jury), was determined for each case.
Suppose one of the cases is selected at random and the outcome of t
Read the selection in your text book pertaining to the Case: Statistics in Action: Diary of a
Kleenex User; load the data set for the case, TISSUES, into Minitab; answer the question about
the case in the Discussion area; and likewise read and respond to
1. A countrys government has devoted considerable funding to missile defense research
over the past 20 years. The latest development is the Space-Based Infrared System (SBIRS),
which uses satellite imagery to detect and track missiles. The probability tha
Read the selection in your textbook pertaining to the Case: Statistics in Action: Medicare Fraud
Investigations; load the data set for the case, MCFRAUD, into Minitab; answer the question
about the case in the Discussion area; and likewise read and respon
1. Why is it important to study ethics in statistics? Have you seen statistics misused?
Without naming specific companies or people, can you provide examples?
2. Please find (on the Internet or from the Keller library) and post an article regarding ethics
1. (TCO A) Seventeen salespeople reported the following number of sales calls completed last
a. Compute the mean, median, mode, and standard deviation, Q1, Q3, Min, and Max for the
A number of years ago, there was a popular television game show called Let's Make a Deal. The
host, Monty Hall, would randomly select contestants from the audience and, as the title suggests,
he would make deals for prizes. Contestants would be given rela
Complete the table to the right.
In one university, language incorporated a 10-week extensive reading program to improve
students Japanese reading comprehension. The professors collected 267 books originally written
for Japanese children and require
(TCO D) PuttingPeople2Work has a growing business placing out-of-work MBAs. They claim
they can place a client in a job in their field in less than 36 weeks. You are given the following
data from a sample.
Sample size: 100
Population standard deviation: 5