1. That he was just like anyone else. His bark appeared to be worse than his bite. He appeared to
be a jolly guy at heart.
2. He knew from stories that his mother was always a giving person who always cooked and made
sure everyone else was take
1. By the time she reached the doctor, her blood pressure was so high and her blood sugar was
extremely high. She could have had a heart attack or stroke. She had experienced confusion,
panic, incoherent speech, and redness and swelling.
March 31, 2015
1. Skloot had heard several times that out of all the Lackses, he was the angriest of them all about
what happened to his mother and that he was looking for any revenge he could get.
1. Deborah was suspicious when Skloot recommended photocopying the records. She stuff papers
in her canvas bag and later rushed at Skloot and slammed her against the wall. She was afraid
that Skloot would turn out to be like Cofield. She didnt
March 24, 2015
1. Deborah met a mechanic named James Pullum who worked at a steel mill and was a preacher.
She took on several different types of jobs to support her family including: barber, notary public,
1. It suggests to me that scientists were always pushing forward to make new things and work with
living organisms, such as Frankenstein who was made from parts of humans and then
electrocuted to become alive. The public perception was fear, be
1. The cells were taken out into space to see how they would perform. They grew more rapidly and
more powerful. A Navy doctor, George Hyatt tried to use them to help with healing skin wounds
on soldiers, but when they came back cancerous, he ab
1. Lawrence was 4 years old and Joe was 1 year old.
2. They wanted to help Day with the children
3. Some family thought Ethel was trying to move in on Day and get all her hate out for Henrietta by
torturing her children.
4. She beat
1. No one knew what nutrients they needed to survive, or how best to supply them. they were
trying to create a perfect culture medium. Contamination was another issue, sterility was a
2. Mary labeled the cultures with the fir
1. The doctors assumed that the radium therapy was a cure for her cancer.
2. They didnt find anything wrong with her and only no0ted she complained of vague lower
abdominal discomfort. They wanted her to follow up in a month.
3. Benevolent decep
1. There was a law that stated performing an autopsy or removing tissues from the dead was
illegal. Day was initially against it
2. His cousin told him that it couldnt hurt and it may help his children some day
3. Mary realized that these cells
1. A cell looks a lot like a fried egg. The author describes the cells cytoplasm like a New York City
2. A division of cells. Repair, reproduction, and growth are beneficial processes
3. It was beautiful, like a perfectly choreographed dance.