A. One of these parts contains an error. Identify and change the error. Then, rewrite the sentence.
H e w as q ui t e a mu s i ng w he n h e he ar d w h a t h ad ha pp en e d.
a s _
i t e_
h e _
In each question you will see a text with 4 underlined words or phrases. One of these is incorrect or needs to
be re-written. Select the incorrect option.
1. Should we really speak of the breakdown of families when we are perhaps witnessing new family for
Identifying sentence errors: Tests your ability to recognize faults in usage, and recognize
effective sentences that follow the conventions of Standard Written English.
Directions: Choose which underlined portion has an error. If the sentence is correct,
without a/an/ -s
Noun s/ es
a means/series/species means .
a child children
a foot feet
a tooth teeth
a louse lice
a person people
a goose geese
THE ENGLISH SPEAKER
TEST YOURSELF 00
ADVANCED EXAMINATION PREPARATION EXERCISES (CAE)
PAPER 3: ENGLISH IN USE
TIME: 1 hour 30 minutes
PART 1: CLOZE: VOCABULARY
From the words listed below, choose the ones which best fit the space, A, B, C or D.
ERROR IDENTIFICATION (400 sentences)
1. The main office of the factory can be found in Maple Street in New York City.
2. Because there are less members present tonight than there were last night, we must wait until the next meeting
3. David is pa
1. The ode was original a ceremonial poem written to celebrate public occasions or exalted subjects.
2. Knowledge of the rate at which a ship is traveling through the water is important if the navigator
need to estimate the time of arrival.
With Robert Laurent and William Zorach, direct carving enters
into the story of
modern sculpture in the United States. Direct carving in which the
themselves carve stone or wood with mallet and chisel must be