The Environments of Organizations and Managers
1. Identify and discuss each major dimension of the general environment and
of the task environment.
Because the environment provides the context in which a business operates, i
Organization Change and Innovation
1. What forces or kinds of events lead to organization change? Identify each
force or event as planned or reactive change.
Both internal and external forces encourage change. External force
Basic Elements of Individual Behavior in Organizations
1. What is a psychological contract? List the things that might be included in
individual contributions. List the things that might be included in organizational
Leadership and Influence Processes
1. What activities do managers perform? What activities do leaders perform?
Do organizations need both managers and leaders? Why or why not?
Managers are responsible for planning, budgetin
Managing Employee Motivation and Performance
1. Summarize Maslows needs hierarchy and the two-factor theory. In what
ways are they similar and in what ways are they different?
Maslows needs hierarchy claims that individuals
Managing Decision Making
1. Describe the difference between programmed and nonprogrammed
decisions. What are the implications of these differences for decision makers?
Programmed decisions are either structured or recur freq
Organization Structure and Design
What is job specialization? What are its advantages and disadvantages?
Job specialization is the breaking down of a job into smaller component parts. The
benefits of job specialization in
Managing Human Resources
1. Describe the steps in the process of human resource planning. Explain the
relationships between the steps.
The first step is job analysis, in which the content and requirements of each of the
Planning and Strategic Management
1. Describe the purposes of organizational goals. Be certain to note how the
purpose varies for different kinds of goals.
The purposes of goals are to (1) provide guidance and direction, (2)
Understanding the Managers Job
2. What are the four basic functions that make up the management process?
How are they related to one another?
Planning and decision making, leading, organizing, and controlling are the four ba
Entrepreneurship and New Venture Management
1. Describe the similarities and differences between entrepreneurial firms and
large firms in terms of their job creation and innovation.
Since 1990, entrepreneurial firms and larg