10) Which is a product of the intramolecular cyclization of D-tagatose to form a furanose?
11) Below is the Fischer projection of D-galactose. Which is the proper Haworth projection of
16) Two-electron transfer reactions can be linked to one-electron transfer reactions by
A) formation of semiquinones.
B) a [Fe-S] cluster.
C) NADH and NADPH.
D) B and C
E) A and C
17) Acyl-group-transfer reactions often involve
65) Weak substrate binding is an important feature to help describe enzyme catalysis.
66) In the modified lock-and-key theory of enzyme specificity, the key is still the enzyme while
the lock is still the substrate.
5) Examine the Fischer projection below. How is this carbohydrate classified?
A) L enantiomer; aldopentose
B) L enantiomer; ketopentose
C) D enantiomer; aldohexose
D) D enantiomer; ketopentose
6) The Fischer projections of linea
75) The oxidized forms of cytochromes c absorbs more strongly than the reduced form at the Soret
band near 400 nm.
Match each of the following vitamins with an associate nutritional deficiency disease.
A) Dermititis in huma
30) What is the name of the disaccharide shown below that is formed by joining two monomers of
77) The large number of possible oligosaccharide structures in glycoproteins is limited in cells by
the kinds of enzymes available for their synthesis.
1) Lipids may be either hydrophobic or _.
58) Steric strain is a major factor in determining the conformations of a monosaccharide that
predominate in solution.
59) The chair conformation of furanoses is generally preferred to minimize steric repulsion.
37) Both amylose and amylopectin molecules isolated from plant cells can contain as many as
_ glucose residues.
38) Enzymes in the human intestine which are needed to degrade plant starch int
5) A fatty acid designated w-3
A) has three double bonds.
B) is saturated.
C) has a double bond three carbons from the end of the chain.
D) has a double bond three carbons from the a-carbon.
6) Trans fatty acids have physical pr
33) Which structure is not a part of folate?
A) porphyrin ring
B) p-aminobenzoic acid
D) glutamate residues
34) Which statement is false about 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrobiopterin?
A) It is required by the enzyme that catalyze